55 Gallon Barrel Suppressor Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update. Good news and bad news. The good news is that I didn't actually shoot my chrony, I hit the metal piece holding the shade cover and that blasted all the plastic apart on the back end. I think I can fix it, even though I got my new one already.

The bad news, the barrel. After a few test shots went well I got the chrony adjusted and was in heaven again. I was shooting and recording velocities when I saw her by her car and went over to have a chat with her about it. She said she had heard it from inside the house as soon as I started shooting and the dog came over and tried to get under her legs. My previous elation died with a whimper. I told her I had a few more things to try, more foam on the inside, and wanted one more chance before giving up for good....or until I can get a suppressor. She said OK so we'll see.....

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well that's a bummer.

What happened to "It worked well and my wife said she could hardly hear it" ... ?

Can you get the same relative location with your barrel and the landowner as your wife had?

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well that's a bummer.

What happened to "It worked well and my wife said she could hardly hear it" ... ?

Can you get the same relative location with your barrel and the landowner as your wife had?

My wife was about 200 yards away and said compared to previously she could hardly hear it, and in our house not at all. My buddy's mom's house is closer to my 200 yard spot, maybe 70 yards away. If I could shoot from the other side it would be perfect, unfortunately I shoot into the side of a pond dam, the other way there's nothing to stop the rounds....well,maybe cows.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might consider not shooting until you get a suppressor permit/whatever then. Ya sure don't want to hack her off to the point she forbids it at all.

Luck.
I've pretty much been passing it as much as it hurts me. Shooting/reloading is pretty much my only hobby. Been looking for places to go closer to home but finding them isn't easy.

R D Harmon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made mine using a 55 gal heavy duty steel barrel with the lid held on with a steel ring and bolt.
I used fiberglass insulation and hardware cloth rolled up and let unwind to hold insulation in place.
I cut an 8 in circle on one end and a 8x6 rectangle on the lid end, set the lid back on, placed the ring on and bolted the ring tight. Worked great. If you shoot through ,the wrong end it will blow off your hat.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of had it on the back burner. I shot through it with my buddy's mom outside and she said it was still really loud, then I noticed that the barrel had come apart. I decided I needed to do a little more work on the insulation inside the barrel then got distracted with other projects. We've come to an agreement whereas I shoot a couple time a month so for now it's working without the barrel. Of course I'd like to be shooting about once a week so I still plan on working on it. Looks like a good fall project. I have one more of my rifles to bed then I'll be freed up to work it. You know how it is, there's always something more pressing it seems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom