556 can modification project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, you both have a point, which addresses one of the goals, mostly. What do you have for the other?
Wait; thats right, one of you uses a Surefire mini and the other doesnt use one at all.

If i wanted to pay the cash and wait, then an AAC mini4 would already be out there with my name on it. More than likely its the route i will take at some point, but for now...

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am as short on the barrel length as i am willing to go.

Reduction of the overall length, reduction of weight at the end of the barrel. doing both of those things cheaper than buying into a new system with a mini can. Originally, the suppressor was used to get maximum suppression with the short barrel. As I have used the system in situations from vehicles to shoot houses to open fields i have come to the conclusion that i would be better served with a can that will eliminate the the concussion from a short barrel for those around me but not necessarily be any quieter than necessary to accomplish that. I am looking for a system that meets that goal and is shorter than the current setup. In other words, i am willing to trade a few db's for a couple of inches because it serves me better.

I know it will compromise some of the sound suppressing quality. You two know me from osa well enough to realize i wouldn't step into this lightly, or without some pretty serious forethought. If this solution does not look like it will meet my goals then i will look at others. If i didnt have a "need" to reduce the length of the system on the barrel side of the equation then i wouldnt be asking for feedback. I appreciate the answers and questions so far.

UMB, this has been an interesting read, but I don't think you are supposed to shoot houses, from a vehicle or not.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
UMB have you considered building a supressor on a form 1? Didnt see it mentioned above. Thought i would just throw it out there. I recently seen a youtube video of a gentleman that sells just about everything you need to make a supressor out of a mag light. He sells it as a cleaning kit to catch oil from your barrel when cleaning. It comes with 6 baffels and thread adapter of your choice of thread pitch.

http://youtu.be/UhVmLQ_OJSk

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UMB have you considered building a supressor on a form 1? Didnt see it mentioned above. Thought i would just throw it out there. I recently seen a youtube video of a gentleman that sells just about everything you need to make a supressor out of a mag light. He sells it as a cleaning kit to catch oil from your barrel when cleaning. It comes with 6 baffels and thread adapter of your choice of thread pitch.

Yeah, I considered that briefly. In order to do it the way I want it would end up costing me as much as just switching to the AAC system. I dont have anything against making the switch except the God awful wait times and; to a lesser extent, the expense. Plust I love tinkering around with what I have on hand to make stuff work. So far the YHM suppressor system has been bullet proof. Im not a "huge" fan of the the QD system. but it hasnt let me down yet. The suppressor itself is heavy, but sounds great and wear to the baffles is minimal after 5000+ rounds.
Like I said earlier, I have no doubt that at some point I will just bite the bullet and get into another setup, but I have been toying with this idea for a while and wanted some more feedback before trying it out. Thanks for the comment.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just sayin'

www.advanced_armament.com_assets_images_DTM_Reboot_lr.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom