6.2 F-250

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Between yalls numbers and googles I'd say it looks like mayyybe gas trucks may be getting more suited for hauling loads again. Those torque numbers will help. I've gotten spoiled with my 2010 6.7 Cummins. My trailer weighs 9k and I often have 17k-20k pounds of beef loaded in the trailer and if I don't ease the clutch out real gentle leaving a light or stop sign it'll crack the back tires. Since Ram is officially ditching the Manual trans there is a pretty good chance I'll go back to Ford when this truck is done or one of my daughters says they want it.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since Ram is officially ditching the Manual trans there is a pretty good chance I'll go back to Ford when this truck is done or one of my daughters says they want it.
As much as it pains me to say it, the Man Transmission is all but dead unless you want an econobox or a performance car. Hell, it's even getting harder to find tractors with gearboxes...

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Got a source for that? A source that has proven reliable over the years told me that the engines themselves are the same, but the SAE testing standard used for the Super Duties (built around the heavy-duty duty cycle) produces different results than the half-ton tests.

ETA: it looks like the Super Duty cams have different part numbers than their F-150 counterparts, but the parts catalog doesn't say what the actual differences are.

Yeah first post, it's quoted from another source at the top of the first post.
https://www.raptorforumz.com/threads/superduty-6-2-versus-raptor-6-2-information-here.2966/

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the entire F-Series (up through the new F-600) gets 10-speed autos. The F-650 and F-750 keep the 6-speed for now. There are a couple of recent TFLTruck videos from the event where Ford announced the 7.3's output numbers, and they show some of the upgraded parts for the SuperDuty 10R transmission.

Yes starting with 2020 models 10sp autos, I've not seen any out and about have you? Not any SD yet anyway.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As much as it pains me to say it, the Man Transmission is all but dead unless you want an econobox or a performance car. Hell, it's even getting harder to find tractors with gearboxes...
And as much as I love my standard transmission trucks, I must admit I actually prefer the shuttle shift and push button tractors of today. Brush hogging or other one gear farming tasks I don't mind a clutch and two sticks like our old Tw-10 but for the hayfield where you are trying to go as fast as your implement can eat I prefer no clutch to mess with. Unloading and stacking hay is more fun with a shuttle too!
What does your 4010 have? Were they a quad range like the 4030, 4040 and 4440's I've been around?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What does your 4010 have? Were they a quad range like the 4030, 4040 and 4440's I've been around?
I guess you'd call it a quad range 2-speed; it has 8 forward gears and three reverse, but just one shifter on the dash. I was used to Fords with two sticks, so it took a minute to figure out how that booger worked, especially after it had spent 40+ years baking in the Oklahoma sun. Yeah, those decals aren't quite as sharp as they were in 1961...

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess you'd call it a quad range 2-speed; it has 8 forward gears and three reverse, but just one shifter on the dash. I was used to Fords with two sticks, so it took a minute to figure out how that booger worked, especially after it had spent 40+ years baking in the Oklahoma sun. Yeah, those decals aren't quite as sharp as they were in 1961...
I do recall running one with a shifter like that as a kid. The JD's I referred to above are different though. They had 16 forward and 6 reverse. Two shifters, one is A, B, C, D for range and then one is 1,2,3,4, R1, R2. D range didn't allow reverse. You could "knock" em between 1 and 2, 3 and 4 or R1 and R2 without using the clutch. I believe they were from the 70's.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Every 4440 and 4840 I've been in were 8 forward and 3 reverse single shift except one 4440 had a ABCD with 1234 and R1 and R2.. The Massy 7620 that I spend all my time on now is a F/R lever on the column and powershift 1234 and ABCDEF for each of those four gears. 32mph down the highway is great lol.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every 4440 and 4840 I've been in were 8 forward and 3 reverse single shift except one 4440 had a ABCD with 1234 and R1 and R2.. The Massy 7620 that I spend all my time on now is a F/R lever on the column and powershift 1234 and ABCDEF for each of those four gears. 32mph down the highway is great lol.
32mph? Is that all? Lol. I'm jealous! Our 5060 New Holland is the fastest on the Highway at 27mph downhill. There's plenty of those lil Masseys the Dutchmen around Chouteau drive that have to be runnin well over 40.

Latest posts

Top Bottom