6.5 Cast Loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Cheer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any yall had success with cast loads in a 6.5?
The 6.5 Henry lever gun caught my eye and thought I'd ask about results people might've had besides high power jacketed loads. Like sure it'll kill big stuff but it's the stew pot critters that count!
:)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
H4895 can be used in a 60% reduced load in any gun that calls for H4895.
https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

You may have already known this.
Red dot I have used in 30-06 cast and in 32-20 cast loads.
Soft cast bullets were used as my loads are very low pressure I used 11 gr in 30-06 and can't remember what I used in the 32-20.
maybe 2-3 gr it is a Marlin Ballard rifle.
The bullets for 32-20 were powder coated and very accurate.
Gas checked in the 30-06 at 1400fps from a Mossberg 100ATR.

I have a 6.5 creedmoor and would not hesitate to try a fast pistol powder.
I have used the same 11gr red dot in 30-06 with jacketed bullets.. those went slower and were less accurate.
I have not seen load data for the creedmoor and cast bullets but many of my loads I have shot were not in any book.

You must extrapolate what load you could use by finding a case with same or close capacity as the one you are going to use and same diameter projectile.
A quick tapering shoulder will add more pressure to the load so think about that stuff.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the fast pistol powder. I have successfully used Red Dot (Promo) and Bullseye in 7.62x54r and .30-30.

I would suggest maybe Bullseye, start about 5 grains and work up slowly.

There are probably cast loads in one of the Lyman manuals, if you don't have one let me know, I'll look in mine. Perhaps not for 6.5 Creed, but something close.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at the 260 Remington see if there is any cast data for it and start at the lower end of the scale.
The Remington and Creedmoor have close to the same capacity with the Creedmoor being 1 gr less capacity as I have read.
But that is largely determined by what case is used also.
Winchester vs Lapua.

Latest posts

Top Bottom