6.5 Creedmoor Savage Axis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to review the the gun before Saturday (Today).
Just in case someone else wanted to pick up on the sale before it was over and I need to drive much farther to test farther and get permission first.
I do agree 100 is eeehhh but it tells me if the gun functions and if the scope is at least clear and has enough eye relief.
I will test it farther.

Sent from my fingers that have touched my KEYBOARD :)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The gun shot well today scope held the same spot today as it did the first few rounds of shooting.
I even had it propped against the dresser and it fell over onto the floor right on it's side.. scope did not move.
Shot reloads today and it shoots under 1" easy at 100 yards with Hornady 123 gr ELD Match bullets seated 2.818" OAL there is more room than that in the magazine and this is just about .006" from being solid into the lands.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I found some better loads yesterday but not up to par with my .308 heavy short barrel.
I did not really want a 22" barrel rifle after my friend Frank told me for a couple years to cut the 24" .308 down to 18" and after cutting it the accuracy was better and the accuracy note was wider.

Read/ listen here on short barrel 6.5 Creedmoor.

Yep I went and done it this morning I cut the barrel from 22" to 19".
I wanted an 18" or 20" 6.5 Creedmoor and I knew eventually I would either sell this gun or cut the barrel.

I like it for the most part but really want a short barrel.
Back to the range today after I clean it all up and stick the stock and scope back on.

I did notice seating the bullets deeper into the case improved accuracy so Hornady was right.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@swampratt You wouldn't happen to have any load data for a Hornady 52 grain ELD Match bullet for a 22-250 would you? I'm having trouble finding anything online specific to that bullet, and I don't have a Hornady manual.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My cut barrel. I finished or smoothed the cut flat on a disc sander after the hacksaw cut then I chamfered the inside ever so slightly with baking soda and a marble.

006.JPG

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The A-Max was replaced by the ELDM as to my understanding and I go to Hodgdon reloading to get some data to work with .
https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
I bet you find loads there you can start with.

If that does not open for you then tell me what powder you have to work with and I will look and see what they say and tell you.
I did see loads for the A-max bullet there. Is that close enough for OAL etc., to work?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your OAL may be different but I always seat my bullets .005" off the lands so advertised OAL does not work for me most of the time.
I think the A max is a bit longer than the ELDM but do not play with the MAX load for starters and you should be fine.
Some rifles will not let you seat bullets way out so just stick it in the case and go.
I hate to say that but saying that knowing you are not going to load max charges off the bat.
Too close to the lands and you build pressure seat deeper and pressure drops.