6.5 creedmoor vs .243 win

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have choice of many calibers to hunt with not the 6.5 though.
I have .223, .243,.308,30-06 and 30-30.
I have hunted and killed deer with every one of them.
The least favorite is the 30-30. the velocity is not there and even with soft flat lead tip bullets the round pencils right through on 80% of the shots.
.243 is no better than a .308.
I used to think the .223 was a stupid round, too small for humane kills on animals.

That was until I killed my first critter with it.
I eventually killed a hog with the .223 and it died almost instantly. Fell over where it stood and flinched a bit then expired.

My quickest kills have been with the .223 If I hunt under 300 yards i take it and loaded with 55gr V max.
Over 300 and I choose .308 or my 30-06.

I can put the bullet where it needs to go or i do not pull the trigger.

The .243 is pretty accurate but is finicky compared to my other guns and I will not get another .243 because it is finicky.

I reload and it has been the hardest to make shoot stupid accurate.
I think it is a case capacity issue and temp changes.. most powders do not fill the case on the .243 and that leftover air space wreaks havoc when temps change.. maybe others have not noticed an issue with it and I just got dealt a bad hand with my .243.

I would choose the 6.5 if i could find a bullet that was a great consistent killer.
I want most if not all of the bullets energy left in the deer.. that means no exit.
I also do not want what my .308 or .30-06 does with a 178A-Max. take out the far shoulder leaving what looks like a canon ball was shot through the deer.

Consistency of the round, shot placement and bullet performance is key for me.

I like .223 55gr V-max and 155 A-Max for my 30 cal and 87 V-Max for the .243.

I read something from someone at Savage that stated the most accurate round for many years was the .308.
That has changed and now it belongs to the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I do not have a 6.5 but would not mind trying one and would gladly trade a .243 for one.
But the current guns I have will get the job done perfectly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom