6.5 creedmoor vs .243 win

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To start, there is no such thing as knock down power no matter how much hollywood tries to convince anyone that it does. I have a video of a taliban combatant being hit with about 20 rounds of .308 from an M-60 in a few seconds, and he just collapses.
A .45 acp will not blow an arm or leg off. The miracle new 9mm ammo will not either no matter how many proponents of 9mm say it will.

In any caliber you have to look at bullet performance for the designated duty it's designed for.
Hunting or paper. If hunting, what game?
Whitetail, any caliber put into the sweet spot is going to kill. Death comes from loss of blood to the brain so the quicker the blood can be stopped, the quicker the animal will fall.
There are so many variables in this game that's it's almost impossible to say one bullet/caliber is superior.
The ammo/gun manufacturers want you to think they have the caliber that will take an animal down the quickest with the fastest speed, or the heaviest bullet. Again, it all falls into the animal that is being targeted.
Then you get into ballistics of the bullet. How does it perform in the cavity of the animal? Does it make a clean shot and exit or does it enter, and destroy the innards into jelly.
Again the bullet design is the answer. My 30-06 with a Sierra 165 grain HPBT, and my .243 WSSM in 55 grain do the same thing at long range.
Turn the innards into jelly and they don't run.
You will get owners of .240 Roberts ackly improved that say a deer never runs after the shot because they spent $1000.00 building their rifle. Other owners of 30-30 will say they never had a deer take a step after shooting them.
The thing I've learned after a lifetime of hunting whitetail is that there is no perfect caliber. All work well, some better than others.
Buy a bullet that has a great reputation for white tail and ignore the hype of the gun media.
A personal autopsy of an animal will tell you much more than any gun rag or internet forum about actual performance. Your eyes won't lie to get an advertisement payment to publish false reports.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To start, there is no such thing as knock down power no matter how much hollywood tries to convince anyone that it does. I have a video of a taliban combatant being hit with about 20 rounds of .308 from an M-60 in a few seconds, and he just collapses.
A .45 acp will not blow an arm or leg off. The miracle new 9mm ammo will not either no matter how many proponents of 9mm say it will.

In any caliber you have to look at bullet performance for the designated duty it's designed for.
Hunting or paper. If hunting, what game?
Whitetail, any caliber put into the sweet spot is going to kill. Death comes from loss of blood to the brain so the quicker the blood can be stopped, the quicker the animal will fall.
There are so many variables in this game that's it's almost impossible to say one bullet/caliber is superior.
The ammo/gun manufacturers want you to think they have the caliber that will take an animal down the quickest with the fastest speed, or the heaviest bullet. Again, it all falls into the animal that is being targeted.
Then you get into ballistics of the bullet. How does it perform in the cavity of the animal? Does it make a clean shot and exit or does it enter, and destroy the innards into jelly.
Again the bullet design is the answer. My 30-06 with a Sierra 165 grain HPBT, and my .243 WSSM in 55 grain do the same thing at long range.
Turn the innards into jelly and they don't run.
You will get owners of .240 Roberts ackly improved that say a deer never runs after the shot because they spent $1000.00 building their rifle. Other owners of 30-30 will say they never had a deer take a step after shooting them.
The thing I've learned after a lifetime of hunting whitetail is that there is no perfect caliber. All work well, some better than others.
Buy a bullet that has a great reputation for white tail and ignore the hype of the gun media.
A personal autopsy of an animal will tell you much more than any gun rag or internet forum about actual performance. Your eyes won't lie to get an advertisement payment to publish false reports.
I understand that I was just looking for information from some that have probably used both hunting and had a preference thanks for all the responses

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that the 6.5CM is better crossed against .308 and those in the category. Yes, I realize the .243 win’s parent case is the .308, but the diameter is much smaller. I think the better comparison is .243win to 6.5 Grendel. I realize that’s not your question, only posing that maybe it should be.
I do like the 6.5CM and I think it outperforms .308 on many aspects. My very first centerfire rifle was a .243 and as of a couple months ago I own two 6.5grendel rifles.
Just food for thought and my thinking when the question was read.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that the 6.5CM is better crossed against .308 and those in the category. Yes, I realize the .243 win’s parent case is the .308, but the diameter is much smaller. I think the better comparison is .243win to 6.5 Grendel. I realize that’s not your question, only posing that maybe it should be.
I do like the 6.5CM and I think it outperforms .308 on many aspects. My very first centerfire rifle was a .243 and as of a couple months ago I own two 6.5grendel rifles.
Just food for thought and my thinking when the question was read.

I use to shoot both the 243 and 308 and they are both great cartridges. I like the 6.5 Grendel in the MSR Platform but chose the 6MM Creedmore in a Bolt Rifle. The 243 WIN and 6MM CM shoot the same diameter bullet .244" and the 6MM CM gets a slight edge over the 243 WIN . One reason is the 6MM CM can handle heavier bullets due to the faster barrel twist rate. The 243 Win could shoot the very same 103 and 107 grain bullets very accurately if the rifle used the same twist rate. Unfortunately most OTC Rifles in 243 WIN use a slower twist rate than the 6MM CM. I would like to own a AR10 and have 2 uppers- one in 6.5 CM and the other in 6MM CM.

Just a side note: The owner of a long time popular Tulsa gun shop told me that he now sells more 6.5 CM ammo than any other CF Cartridge. His shelves reflected that because there were many choices in 6.5 CM.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am part of a organization that takes 50-60 youth hunters on their first deer hunt each year. 99% of the rifles used are .243 with 6 mm, 22-250 in a few cases.
We haven't had any issues with clean kills and we probably see as much experience each year as the average hunter sees in a lifetime of hunting.
If in an open area where you can see deer drop after a shot, probably any bullet in .243 will do the job if placed in the vitals. If in a brushy area, where a blood trail will be beneficial, use a bullet that is designed for expansion but will pass thru.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I have had great luck with .243 over the last 40 years and the girls and grandson still do today I just purchased a 6.5 creedmoor from another member a while back and it shoots lights out I was just curious if anyone here had hunted with one or still do and if you could tell a difference between the two when hunting

Latest posts

Top Bottom