6.5 Grendel Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe they can fix it but I really dont want to mess with sending it back and waiting for a possible fix. Not yet anyway.

This is a type 2 set up but i dont think it matters. Just a short throat.

Im going to start over on load development and see what my accuracy and fps is. If I can make it shoot and not loose any velocity I'll just leave it the way it is. If it dont work I may just get someone to ream it if I can.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So that buddy came by yesterday and before we bedded his barrel we decided to check his against the factory SST. His is a hi dollar Saturn Liberty stainless barrel. I say hi dollar, around the $300 dollar mark. Anyway I checked the factory SST and they were at about 2.241 give or take and I checked one in my gun again. It was a little sticky I guess I just didnt notice it the other day. But we dropped one in his gun and yup, on the lands. Deep. So I dropped them down to 2.18-2.2 and they were still on the lands. But just barely.

So 2 different barrels and different price points and both are on the lands at way under spec length. These are the only 2 Grendel barrels I have ever checked. Im at a loss as to why. I was pretty upset that my BCA barrel was cut wrong but now I have no idea what is going on.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could be 2 barrels with short throats. you research short throat Grendel and you will find a lot of it happening.
Try some handloads that fit and see if it is accurate and do not worry about what the book stated as OAL as you know it will not work for you.
I see no information on setting .223 to 2.330" but some of my loads are there.
Yea kind of sucks a little when you expect something different.. but it is what it is unless you cut the throat deeper.

Latest posts

Top Bottom