6.5 Grendel update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to sight "Goldilocks" in today. It's my first 6.5 Grendel build, but I don't think it will be my last. I'm a big fan! Here's are the build specs:
1. Colt Competition Upper & Lower
2. Faxon 16" 6.5 Grendel "Monster" bbl (button-rifled, Hybrid 5R 1:8 rifling, Type 2 SAAMI spec, target crown, etc).
3. "Monster" type 2 SAAMI spec (0.136) bolt
4. Brownells M16 TiN MP BCG
5. Parallax Tactical M-LOK lightweight Ultra-slim handguard
6. FBT "Blue" Trigger group
7. Colt (Roger's) Super Stok (soon to be replaced with MFT Minimalist stock).
8. Oversized Mag release.v
9. Phase 5 bolt release (Soon to be removed, not a huge fan).
10. Aero Precision lightweight cantilever scope mount
11. Nikon P-308 4-16x42 30mm BDC 800 scope
12. VG6 Epsilon Muzzle brake

Grendel (Smaller).jpg

Here's the target from a warm barrel. This is an 8 shot group, with one flier to the left. I had shot a much better group before this (under the sticker thingy on the target), but forgot to take a pic of it.

GrendelTarget.jpg

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good looking set up and a wonderful round. It will shoot for sure and I bet it's lots of fun. Maybe one day I'll have a gas gun...all I need to do is stop spending money on powder and bullets.

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll drop some weight with the minimalist stock. Those Aero mounts are nice, it's all I use now. Look good and light weight

Yup, I'm hoping to shave a few ounces with the minimalist stock and dumping the Phase 5 bolt catch. I can see how the bolt catch is a good idea for competition, but I think it's more of a hindrance (and added weight) for a utility AR.

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! Hey, if you don’t have a place to stretch it out to 500 and beyond, hit me up. I have a couple places we can go. Grendel is fun to 600 and beyond.
I sure appreciate the offer Doc! We have a bit of open shooting country out here too. Out of our sun room (my wife still thinks I built it for a real sun room, ha!) in the house I have shot coyotes and pigs from it out to around 300 yards in the winter, when there's no foliage to obstruct view. That pasture (behind the house) is probably well over 1200 yards lengthways, but I usually shoot sideways (200-500 yards). There is another spot not too far from the house (Cherokee land) where you could stretch a rifle's legs to 1000+ yards, if so inclined.

Last edited: