6.5 Grendel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@dennishoddy what brand of upper/barrel is your 243 wssm
Shilen Select Match Grade. Rifling groove air gauges less than .0003, and the uniformity of the bore is less than .0001 for the entire length. Hand lapped finally.
Dtech did the machining on the barrel which is a mid weight 18" that is straight fluted per my request. Bolt came from Olympic Arms, and upper was machined by Dtech to allow the big fat brass to exit the upper. They have to machine away the dust cover supports to allow it to exit.
Most accurate gun I own.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure at least one of his is DTech.

My 1:8 for heavy bullets is from Accuracy systems Inc.
The 1:12 for light bullets I just got and waited for 6 months to get is from Dtech.
The 6 month wait was because Olympic Arms went belly up as a company, which does the bolt work. They are slowly coming back on line with employees taking over the company according to what Dtech told me.
.243 WSSM brass was exorbitant in the last few years with it going for almost $3 per round on Gunbroker at times. Well, it was offered at that price, I don't know if it ever sold.
Winchester came out with a run of brass this year. You can get on Cabellas and buy it for $38 or so per 50 I think it is.
I have several hundred rounds of brass, and a couple hundred rounds of the nickel plated factory Winchester that I've shot and saved.
For the record, I bought the first in 2008 when Obama got elected, and stocked up on brass then.
On the long range boards, there is some rumbling of wanting Winchester to bring the caliber back out in the AR platform only which it is supremely suited. It didn't feed well in bolt guns and that is when it fell into disfavor and was discontinued.
Nothing better than a 55 grain bullet traveling 4100 fps to turn the innards of a deer into jelly. Speed kills really well.
My biggest deer to date that scored 163 green and finaled at 157 1/8 was shot with the 1:8 at a tad over 500 yards. Two steps and dropped in his tracks. I've posted the pics in the hunting forum in the past, showing the distance from the blind.
Edit: the internet keyboard gun experts also condemned it to being a barrel burner which it is not, and nowhere close to that. Winchester and Browning did extensive tests to disprove that "theory".

Last edited:

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well for the most part she is together (need new bipod to get here and optics). Thanks for all the info, from what I gather...if I can make the gun work it will hit the metal at 1K. But that isn't worth talking about as its not meat which its only good for out to 300 yards. Or I need to trash it and grab a bolt gun or search for the 243 WSSM (which Dennis went way over my head with) ..... pphheww I knew this cheap barrel would be an issue, just thought it would be with the ole lady...

Just kidden!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know Wiki isn't necessarily the be-all/end-all of information, however... :anyone:

"Winchester has discontinued the manufacture of 243 WSSM ammunition. As of the first half of 2016, Winchester/Olin did manufactured and release for sale some WSSM ammunition. The product is only manufactured periodically, often on inconsistent intervals."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.243_Winchester_Super_Short_Magnum

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know Wiki isn't necessarily the be-all/end-all of information, however... :anyone:

"Winchester has discontinued the manufacture of 243 WSSM ammunition. As of the first half of 2016, Winchester/Olin did manufactured and release for sale some WSSM ammunition. The product is only manufactured periodically, often on inconsistent intervals."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.243_Winchester_Super_Short_Magnum
They have been only periodically producing it since 2008 at least. Good thing I have 1000 rounds of factory Winchester.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bang for the buck this guy sells great barrels, bolts, and other parts. He's an old time wild cat builder/designer. Most of his barrels are Melonite/Nitride hardened inside and out. He designed a much better bolt for the grendel and can help you scratch the itch

I am in no way affiliated with his company beyond having bought more than 20 barrels from him and a large stash of bolts.

https://ar15performance.com/__valkyrie__grendel___wildcats

Latest posts

Top Bottom