1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

6.5 Grendel

Discussion in 'Gun Club/Range Talk' started by okierider, Jan 23, 2020.

1. okierider

okierider Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Thanks for showing me that thread bunch of good info there!

swampratt likes this.
  2. okierider

okierider Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Had this at the range today to run some loads . Have really been kind of disappointed with the lack of accuracy from 2 different Hornady factory ammo's I have tried and along with my hand loads I took another Hornady box out Hornady black....... > well it ran well..... Bipod and sand bag I got 1.5 MOA and drop the flyer it was 1 inch. Ran my hand loads and again 29.5 LVR under 123gr SST seems to be the best. Going to see about finding some IMR 8208 and give that a try.
    Any way, I had some of the Hornady American gunner left in the bag (8 rounds) ......... Low and behold it ran well.
    So here is a question for all you rifle gurus, how many rounds does it take for a barrel to settle in and will this thing keep getting better with use. All told I have maybe 200 +- down the pipe, Should I wait and run some more cheap stuff through the pipe and see how much better it gets before I spend a bunch of time working on hand loads?

O4L likes this.
  3. O4L

O4L Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm no guru but I did watch this series of videos...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn

Apparently there is such a thing as a good amount of copper fouling in your barrel that improves accuracy and consistency.

It sounds like maybe you may have found that sweet spot between a clean barrel and one that is too dirty.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020 at 3:21 PM
    okierider likes this.
  4. blake711

blake711 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    IMR 8208 is pretty much out of stock everywhere online currently. If you see it local I would grab it. At 200 rounds it should be broke in. Some folks say you will still see speed gains up to 100-200 rounds. I would start my load development, if I were you.

okierider and O4L like this.
  5. okierider

okierider Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I have been watching Rex when I get the chance, basically I am at video 4 LOL. He puts out a lot of info and really does a nice tutorial.

6. O4L

O4L Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yes, he puts out a LOT of info and he repeats himself quite a bit but I think anyone halfway serious about long range shooting would benefit from this video series.

I don't reload so I kind of glossed over that part and since I have no where to shoot 1000 yards plus I probably won't ever use most of what he teaches but I still found it very interesting.

okierider likes this.
  7. dlbleak

dlbleak Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Yeah, the Hornady stuff runs well in mine. Not the Black so much but the other line of ammo. I always cringe when a gun runs the Amax bullet well. I don’t like it for hunting because of the lack of a blood trail.

8. okierider

okierider Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

That is why I was a little disappointed in how the SST Factory ammo ran in my rifle, but after running the American gunner and Black today I think I will try the SST's again, I bought 2 boxes of them and only ran like 15 before I stopped.
    Also the rounds I worked up were good for minute of deer so even if the factory ammo is not an option I am covered there. Have a couple boxes of the Wolf and Federal heading this way from SGAmmo!!!

9. chazroh

chazroh Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Don’t get down on your gun just cause sst’s don’t do well, lots of rifles don’t shoot these bullets well. Also, give arcomp a try at loading, done very well for me in my Grendel

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020 at 8:13 PM
    okierider likes this.
  10. okierider

okierider Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Bought some Arcomp today, would you mind sharing your load data, bullets ,primer OAL .
    Found info on the grendel forums and plan on working a ladder starting at 26gr and stepping up to 27.5. in .5 grain steps.