6.5 Sherman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know why the 6.5 Sherman hasn't made a bigger splash. Maybe because it's a wildcat and not the invention of Nosler. It's known in the long range hunting community. It's certainly something to explore if you have a long action you want to rebarrel.

There are other fast 6.5 chamberings out there like the 6.5 Remington mag and the GAP 6.5 4S. The Remington Mag is a barrel burner though. The GAP will shoot with the Sherman except it's based off the 7saum case. Hornady makes brass for it and it will launch 140gr bullets between 3,200-3,300fps.

Sounds like something maybe you should explore.

I've thought about rebarreling to the GAP but I feel I'll have brass issues like with my 7WSM and I'm unsure of the quality of the Hornady brass. I know I could form brass from Nosler 7saum but I really don't want to go down that road and be a slave to the reloading bench.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 1 gun if It does not shoot as well as my newer Axis and savage I may hack the barrel shorter or do a swap for the first time in my life.
It is a 30-06 100 ATR and it punishes my shoulder.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a load for my 30-06 with the sierra palma 155gr .504 bc that flew at 2176 fps.
I jacked it to 3200 and was good there at 85+ temps went 1/2 gr more powder and stuck the round in the chamber.
broke the extractor trying to remove it.
Used the lower 3176fps load, very accurate ..good for paper terribly for killing.
It would pencil right through.
I always wondered what a heavy long barrel in 30-06 or a Gibbs could do.

But this 6.5 stuff looks really good.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
someone on here has one. Can't remember who right off. It's similar to my 6.5-06 I didn't go ackley on my build and wish I would've. I built mine in a savage. I see a rebarrel and reconfigure in its future. I have a 30" tube on mine. To a lighter weight hunting rig. Mine sets in a choate stock currently. When I shoot the throat out of this one I'll pickup another savage action and set this barrel back and go 6.5-06 ackley and go with a McMillan edge fill sporter and another barrel probably a proof carbon in 6.5-06 ai as well. The Sherman is a great round though that deserves some credibility and a hard look if your into 6.5"s and long range hunting/shooting.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I do have one, will try to post again later with more info but that link has about anything you need to know. Rich, the guy who designed the cartridge, is a great guy and is happy to talk to you on the phone all about it. He has something like 2000 rounds through one of his with no real change in accuracy. There is also a 6.5 Sherman short that has basically the same performance.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom