6.5X55 Swedish Mauser Loads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiearmory

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a sporterized swedish mauser on the way. Years ago I owned 6 or 8 swedish mauser two of which I deer hunted with. It has been so long I seemed to have misplaced my load data for the 6.5X55. I am looking for some good deer loads if anyone on here is loading or has loaded for this please share your knowledge.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have my current load data where I can get to it right now, but one thing to consider is brass. The case diameter at the web is slightly larger than the 30-06 size US cases. Folks have made brass from US brass and used it for years, but there are some warnings out there about the danger of doing so. Some of the brass will not hold the pressure with the smaller diameter cases used in forming the 6.5 brass. I junked the brass I had converted after reading the problems with it, I don't load to max and may have gotten away with it for a long time, but it only takes once to be a major issue. If you shop around, you can find reloadable 6.5 ammo at reasonable prices and save the brass from that. Here is a link to some good info on that cartridge from Chuck Hawks. http://www.chuckhawks.com/6-5x55.htm

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info, blitzfike.

I HAD a deer, little sporterized Swede. Had never even considered using .30-06 brass and 2 guys on the range were talking about having done it for years.

I made 50 rounds, minimum published load using 120 gr bullets. I think it was 4064 powder.

1st shot, seemed OK, 2nd shot brass separated at base, jammed bolt, and:nolike:

okiearmory

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will have to dig around but I had several 6.5x55's years ago and reloaded for them. I have looked through all my notes and reloading books I can find and can not find any of the load data I compiled at that time which really pisses me off. Now I will be starting over but should have factory brass, not converted brass to start with. I as well did not know people converted 30-06 brass.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What bullet weight are you using? What powders do you have on hand?
I tested various loads of Varget and IMR4350 with a 130grain bullet yesterday. It seems the intermediate loads grouped best for that bullet weight (35 and 35.5 grains Varget). These were match bullets (although they advertised for hunting use too) so i don't know how well that will translate to other bullets

okiearmory

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will have to see what powders I currently have. I have several different powders as I have not bought loaded ammo in a very long time unless I found a deal on pistol ammo that was cheaper than I could reload for it. I am really kicking myself for selling some of my bullets in a garage sell last year. I don't know what I was thinking.

osu113

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a few recipes. I have tried several different ones with a couple of different bullets. I can tell you what works well in my daughter's (used to be mine she took it from me). Anyway, if you are interested, send me an email.

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a sporterized swedish mauser on the way. Years ago I owned 6 or 8 swedish mauser two of which I deer hunted with. It has been so long I seemed to have misplaced my load data for the 6.5X55. I am looking for some good deer loads if anyone on here is loading or has loaded for this please share your knowledge.
I currently reload for two different 6.5x55s; a Browning 1885 with a 28-inch 1-in-8" McGowen barrel and a left-handed Ruger 77 MKII with a 24-inch 1-in-8" Krieger barrel. My load notes indicate the following:

• Hornady 140-grain SP over 43.0 grains H4350 in Lapua brass seated to 3.044" OAL. Average velocity 2717 feet/second, group size at 100 yards 0.731 inches. Data obtained in Browning.
  • Hornady 129-grain SP over 44.5 grains H4350 in Lapua brass seated to 3.030" OAL. Average velocity 2877 feet/second, group size at 100 yards 0.825 inches. Data obtained in Ruger.
  • Hornady 140-grain SP over 40.5 grains IMR4350 in Lapua brass seated to 2.920" OAL. Average velocity 2655 feet/second, group size at 100 yards 0.566 inches. Data obtained in Ruger.
All data recorded via Shooting Chrony Alpha Model.

Latest posts

Top Bottom