6.8 and the military?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6.5 Grendel has always made more sense to me. Anything close, it’s equal to a 6.8. Anything longer range and the 6.5 Grendel is far superior.
Grendal would have made more sense if they had redesigned the M4 to make accommodations for the larger case. Grendal wont work for military purposes in the M4, the bolt wont hold up.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
the military needs to decide if they are into target shooting or gunfights. every gunfight/ambush i am familiar with happened inside 50 yards

i wasn't a tunnel rat, but the 50, or less, yard range for gunfights was the norm, not the exception. the NVA were very good troops.

I think I have read something about a good amount of longer-range running gun battles in Afghanistan, like several hundred yards, squads being pinned down by 2 or 3 Taliban up in the rocky hills. I don't know how common it is, but it seems I read some of them lamenting they didn't have a heavier/faster round to reach out and really pin them down or take them out.

I could also be totally making **** up, I don't know. Just seems like I read something about that, somewhere, and that was at least one argument in favor of a caliber change, or at least an additional loadout for several members of a team. Of course, before long, you've got one guy with a SAW, one with a shotgun, one with a longrange hunting rifle, etc. I'm not a military guy, so I don't know how that all works.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've read the same as you, we called that H&I fire, harassment and interdiction. that's what crew served weapons are for, M60 would certainly reach out and touch em. if a M60 isn't enough then likely they are too far away to hurt you, call in arty, air, gunships. i just can't call someone taking pot shots at you from 600 yards an ambush.

the PA who's been handling me at the VA since day one has pulled 2 deployments in the sand, i asked her if they, the hadis, could shoot, she said they shot a lot but their accuracy sucked. the fights for the towns/cities in iraq were up close and personal from what i've read.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I have read something about a good amount of longer-range running gun battles in Afghanistan, like several hundred yards, squads being pinned down by 2 or 3 Taliban up in the rocky hills. I don't know how common it is, but it seems I read some of them lamenting they didn't have a heavier/faster round to reach out and really pin them down or take them out.

I could also be totally making **** up, I don't know. Just seems like I read something about that, somewhere, and that was at least one argument in favor of a caliber change, or at least an additional loadout for several members of a team. Of course, before long, you've got one guy with a SAW, one with a shotgun, one with a longrange hunting rifle, etc. I'm not a military guy, so I don't know how that all works.
Because of the open ranges in Afghan, the Talibeaners have been using MGs and to harass our guys. The good thing is, MGs aren't that accurate at 800 plus meters. Instead of getting up in the high ground and engaging them our guys are mostly conducting security patrols in vehicles. Not the best strategy.

As it is. A basic Light Inf Platoon has 2x 7.62mm M240 gun teams, 6x 5.56mm LMGs, and 3x 7.62mm M14s to handle long range targets.

This isn't a caliber issue. Its a political issue. Its how the peace keeping missions go, instead of conducting combat operations to eradicate the Taliban.

Latest posts

Top Bottom