6.8 and the military?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of vets don’t like M4’s either.
It seems our military is always fighting the last war.
The AR platform in 5.56 was designed for short range close combat. I've heard so many wish they had something long range in in the sand box, but then they transition to House to house and that is when the M4 shines.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i wouldn't take a grendal into a gunfight. and i'll not debate it or make explanation.
If they scaled up the M4 somewhere in-between a AR15 and a AR10, to get the stronger bolt. Put more pressure behind the bullet for velocity and design a bullet like M193, then ya got somthin

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Urban legends aside, the M-16/M-4 is more than capable in its current configuration. Reports of widespread dissatisfaction with it are exaggerated, as are claims of its inadequacy at moderate ranges, inside 400 yards (every infantryman doesn’t need a long range rifle).

The real weakness is training and marksmanship. It’s the Indian, not the arrow.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Urban legends aside, the M-16/M-4 is more than capable in its current configuration. Reports of widespread dissatisfaction with it are exaggerated, as are claims of its inadequacy at moderate ranges, inside 400 yards (every infantryman doesn’t need a long range rifle).

Everything I’ve read the arguments for a intermediate 6mm to 6.5mm were basically along the lines of consolidating to one cartridge vs having both 5.56 and 7.62.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

mostly agree with you, but this indian would want the biggest baddest arrow in the quiver, the stand up next to a mountain knock it down with edge of my hand, cue Jimi

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
mostly agree with you, but this indian would want the biggest baddest arrow in the quiver, the stand up next to a mountain knock it down with edge of my hand, cue Jimi

True, but I’m the context of basic infantry weapons for mass issue and use across a broad spectrum, 5.56mm has fit the bill very nicely for a long time. There is flexibility in the arsenal to account for special situations and environments.

I just don’t see the massive cost of a switch to an intermediate caliber being worth the squeeze at this point.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The baddest arrow in the quiver isn't the biggest arrow. Its the arrow with the most effective arrowhead. 5.56 M193 was far more effective than 7.62x39 in Vietnam. 7.62x39 does little more than put a hole in you, where as 5.56 breaking apart in the body (combined with velocity) creates fragments that slice through tissue.

THe body is self sealing by means of swelling. The swelling cuts off bleeding from wounds. Cuts on the other hand do not swell nearly as much which is what bullet fragments from like 5.56 do. You end up bleeding out much quicker than with ball ammo like 7.62x39, or even x51

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
luckily i never had to use an m16 in rvn, i kept the m14 for 29 months. and to this day i'd take an m14 over any 556 made, gimme some of those mk318 bullets (more than i already have) and it's a lethal combination

Latest posts

Top Bottom