6.8 SPC AR-15 for Deer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not sure how a gun (or round) designed to kill humans would be less appropriate for killing deer? I mean... we're not talking about bull moose or bear, here. They're not wearing body armor or have exoskeletons made of unobtanium.
Are you saying you believe something like the .223 is a Optimum deer caliber. I can tell you when that 250 lb mature buck steps out at 200 yards I will feel much better having in my hands a .243 or bigger. And if you really believe killing a big buck is the same as human. Deer shot and hit any place but perfect with a .223 is a lost deer more times then not. A human hit anywhere with a .223 might not kill him but he is down. That being said my grandkids use a .223 and shots are kept 100 yards or less. I don't know much about the 6.8 buts looks like it would be good caliber out to 200 yards

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you saying you believe something like the .223 is a Optimum deer caliber. I can tell you when that 250 lb mature buck steps out at 200 yards I will feel much better having in my hands a .243 or bigger. And if you really believe killing a big buck is the same as human. Deer shot and hit any place but perfect with a .223 is a lost deer more times then not. A human hit anywhere with a .223 might not kill him but he is down. That being said my grandkids use a .223 and shots are kept 100 yards or less. I don't know much about the 6.8 buts looks like it would be good caliber out to 200 yards

Did I ever say it was "optimum"? No, not really. I know of a number of calibers that could do as well or better on deer. The same as on people.

You really think I don't know about physics, biology, wound ballistics and trauma? I assure you, I do, and I guarantee I have enough personal experience to rely on. My question was what makes it less lethal on deer than on humans? We don't have the same kind of speed and endurance a deer has, but we do have opposable thumbs and medical kits.... in fact, given a less-than-optimum shot placement, I'd put the odds on a human's long-term survival over a deer's. Personally. Given modern medical science.

Deer aren't some kind of mythical unstoppable beasts without landing a massive 300-grain bullet directly in the center bullseye.

I'll stand by it - there is nothing inherently MORE deadly about ANY cartridge to humans than it is to deer. They are flesh and blood and lungs and hearts and livers, just like we are. Get over it. They aren't dangerous or hard-to-kill game.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha... in fact, a shot that transects both lungs (with or without the heart) is probably a hell of a lot easier to land on a deer of nearly ANY size than it is on a human. lol

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can find 6.8 at Academy and Bass Pro every day. There's not tons and tons and tons of brands, bullets and styles, but you can certainly find plinking ammo for sighting in, and hunting ammo. It's not all that difficult.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That is not what i said. Either delete the entire post or delete what is offensive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom