6.8 Western from Winchester

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was designed to fill a gap that exists on paper.

Not much of a difference between this and a fast twist 270 WSM (throat the WSM long and you may get better numbers), 7mm WSM, 7mm SAUM, any of the 7mm mags...or really the 6.5 SAUM. If you don't have anything in this category, then the 6.8 Western is an option, but I certainly wouldn't be scrapping my 7 SAUM etc... over it.

I don't believe it is fair to compare it to a .30 caliber magnum as there is .031" and anywhere from 20-75gr bullet difference. The 6.5 and 7mms are the closest to it (.013 and .007 respectively) with bullets in the 144-156gr and 180-197gr range (again, respectively).

Absolutely nothing wrong with going into new territory, and it is great that maybe a few more components for other cartridges might become more available if enough people switch.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting that you have a 7 SAUM. I have one as well. I haven’t spent nearly enough time working with it to develop it to full potential. Stupid work gets in the way of everything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom