6.8 Western

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
31E697F0-1A6D-4BDC-BBA4-F1B4090DBEDB.jpeg

Got the new rifle sighted in. I bore sighted it the old fashioned way. Took the bolt out, looked down the barrel and found a spot on the wall, then adjusted the scope to the spot.

Shot it at 25 yds and I was a half inch right and 1 inch low. Second shot was perfect vertically. Shot a third time at 100 yds and I was a half inch low and 1/4 inch right. 4th shot was square in the bullseye. Two shots later, I was hitting the 2” gong at 200 yds.

There are a lot of haters on this new round but I dare say they haven’t shot it. The 6.8 Western is noted as hitting with as much energy at 500 yds as a 300 WinMag but with recoil like that of a 308. I shot mine with a suppressor and I kid you not, the recoil is slightly more than a 223 but less than a 243. Upon my first shot, I thought, “Man. That didn’t kick at all.” So I was a little more attentive to recoil on the second shot and yep, still low recoil.

The Browning Hells Canyon feather trigger is like no factory trigger I have ever experienced. I guarantee you there is no need to replace this trigger with any aftermarket trigger.

Now to start playing with some reloads!

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you are having a blast with the new combo!

Unfortunately, the 6.8 Western isn't quite up to the hype that was passed to you. Compare the 6.8/175gr TMK to an actual longer-range hunting bullet in the .300WM and it falls about 300ft./lb short in the 500 yard energy category (1,771 for 6.8, 2066 for factory Hornady Precision Hunter in .300WM). Plus, there is no such thing as a free lunch. A 175gr bullet in the 6.8 at 2,835FPS is going to have noticeably more recoil than a .308 that is pushing a 175gr bullet at 2,635FPS.

That isn't to bag on your new round/combo. It certainly is going to be an effective cartridge. It just isn't going to do 300WM downrange energy at .308 recoil levels. Damn physics gets in the way all the time. Unfortunately, manufacturers pushing misleading data (apples to oranges comparisons) is going to be one of the things that keeps this cartridge from being as widely accepted as it could be otherwise.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally really like trying out and shooting new rounds when they come out. I think I have shot pretty much every still in production round out there and its fun to see the differences. I just look at all the reloading stuff I already have and can't justify to myself adding a whole new setup for a round like that, but looks like you have a great setup started!

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Compare the 6.8/175gr TMK to an actual longer-range hunting bullet in the .300WM and it falls about 300ft./lb short in the 500 yard energy category (1,771 for 6.8, 2066 for factory Hornady Precision Hunter in .300WM).
Pardon, but what cartridge from Hornady? Projectile and speed?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you are having a blast with the new combo!

Unfortunately, the 6.8 Western isn't quite up to the hype that was passed to you. Compare the 6.8/175gr TMK to an actual longer-range hunting bullet in the .300WM and it falls about 300ft./lb short in the 500 yard energy category (1,771 for 6.8, 2066 for factory Hornady Precision Hunter in .300WM). Plus, there is no such thing as a free lunch. A 175gr bullet in the 6.8 at 2,835FPS is going to have noticeably more recoil than a .308 that is pushing a 175gr bullet at 2,635FPS.

That isn't to bag on your new round/combo. It certainly is going to be an effective cartridge. It just isn't going to do 300WM downrange energy at .308 recoil levels. Damn physics gets in the way all the time. Unfortunately, manufacturers pushing misleading data (apples to oranges comparisons) is going to be one of the things that keeps this cartridge from being as widely accepted as it could be otherwise.
I won’t debate any of this with you other than the recoil. I have a 300 Win Mag and quite a few 308’s. Standard weight, heavy barrels, light weight, semi autos, bolts, levers, short barrels, long barrels…. You can’t begin to tell me the felt recoil I experienced with the 6.8 Western.

Philip Marical

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 238298

Got the new rifle sighted in. I bore sighted it the old fashioned way. Took the bolt out, looked down the barrel and found a spot on the wall, then adjusted the scope to the spot.

Shot it at 25 yds and I was a half inch right and 1 inch low. Second shot was perfect vertically. Shot a third time at 100 yds and I was a half inch low and 1/4 inch right. 4th shot was square in the bullseye. Two shots later, I was hitting the 2” gong at 200 yds.

There are a lot of haters on this new round but I dare say they haven’t shot it. The 6.8 Western is noted as hitting with as much energy at 500 yds as a 300 WinMag but with recoil like that of a 308. I shot mine with a suppressor and I kid you not, the recoil is slightly more than a 223 but less than a 243. Upon my first shot, I thought, “Man. That didn’t kick at all.” So I was a little more attentive to recoil on the second shot and yep, still low recoil.

The Browning Hells Canyon feather trigger is like no factory trigger I have ever experienced. I guarantee you there is no need to replace this trigger with any aftermarket trigger.

Now to start playing with some reloads!
Please keep us posted on hand load development. I was really interested in this round when it came out. I’ve been a fan of the 270 and especially 270 WSM but were limited by 150 grain pills. The idea of 175 grain in .277 got my curiosity so I’ve purchased a Winchester XPR Long Range but have yet to set it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom