6.8 Western

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won’t debate any of this with you other than the recoil. I have a 300 Win Mag and quite a few 308’s. Standard weight, heavy barrels, light weight, semi autos, bolts, levers, short barrels, long barrels…. You can’t begin to tell me the felt recoil I experienced with the 6.8 Western.

Yeah I can. Physics is one of those things that you can't fudge the numbers on.

Now maybe stock design, rifle weight, and recoil pad efficiency effected your perceived recoil...but adding 200+ FPS and another 20% in charge weight will never result in less recoil with equal bullet weights in equal firearms.

I know you probably think me to be a giant d!ck right now, but I'm seriously not trying to be. I'm honestly happy for you and your new rifle. I have zero reason to crap all over your post. Unfortunately about the only thing that can't be argued over in this day and age is Newtonian or Newton's Law (eg. "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"). You can never have more energy out of an equal rifle without more recoil.

I'll shut up now and stay off your thread. Best of luck.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Proving one's point often proves more than just the point being made I guess 🙄..... pretty sure every comment in the post above is 100% accurate.

I used to really keep up with the new cartridges, go buy one and play but haven't in a while and hadn't heard of this one until this thread.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Proving one's point often proves more than just the point being made I guess 🙄..... pretty sure every comment in the post above is 100% accurate.

I used to really keep up with the new cartridges, go buy one and play but haven't in a while and hadn't heard of this one until this thread.
Agree. I will concede some of the points made. One point in particular is SPOT ON. No elaboration necessary on my part.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
force = mass x acceleration
Yeah I can. Physics is one of those things that you can't fudge the numbers on.

Now maybe stock design, rifle weight, and recoil pad efficiency effected your perceived recoil...but adding 200+ FPS and another 20% in charge weight will never result in less recoil with equal bullet weights in equal firearms.

I know you probably think me to be a giant d!ck right now, but I'm seriously not trying to be. I'm honestly happy for you and your new rifle. I have zero reason to crap all over your post. Unfortunately about the only thing that can't be argued over in this day and age is Newtonian or Newton's Law (eg. "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"). You can never have more energy out of an equal rifle without more recoil.

I'll shut up now and stay off your thread. Best of luck.
Magic and marketing makes f = m * a irrelevant :)

As you say, It’s most likely the stock, weight, difference in recoil pads, muzzle brakes etc. Or the rifle flat out fits better.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 6.8 is an interesting round but I’m afraid it my go the same direction the WSM’s have gone, which by the way were also a Browning/Winchester joint venture. In my opinion all Browning and Winchester needed to do for their WSM chamberings was manufacture their barrels with slightly faster twist rates, 1:8/1:8.5 for 7mm & 270 and 1:11 for the 30 cal.

Now they come out with a slightly different case design faster twist barrels and call it a 6.8 Western. This begs the question as to why you couldn’t load theses new bullets into the old 270wsm with a faster twist barrel and accomplish basically the same and possibly more than the 6.8 Western.

wildlife112

New to the site!
Reaction score
The 6.8 is an interesting round but I’m afraid it my go the same direction the WSM’s have gone, which by the way were also a Browning/Winchester joint venture. In my opinion all Browning and Winchester needed to do for their WSM chamberings was manufacture their barrels with slightly faster twist rates, 1:8/1:8.5 for 7mm & 270 and 1:11 for the 30 cal.

Now they come out with a slightly different case design faster twist barrels and call it a 6.8 Western. This begs the question as to why you couldn’t load theses new bullets into the old 270wsm with a faster twist barrel and accomplish basically the same and possibly more than the 6.8 Western.
This is a very good question. Seems to me that if you built a 270 WSM with a rifle twist equal to what they are making for the 6.8 Western you would have a cartridge that out performs the 6.8 Western.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a very good question. Seems to me that if you built a 270 WSM with a rifle twist equal to what they are making for the 6.8 Western you would have a cartridge that out performs the 6.8 Western.
For bullet weights up to 150 gr, then maybe. You do not have the throat length or capacity in the 270 WSM to load the longer, heavier .277 bullets up to 175 gr.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For bullet weights up to 150 gr, then maybe. You do not have the throat length or capacity in the 270 WSM to load the longer, heavier .277 bullets up to 175 gr.
The 6.8 Western was created for the modern VLD/ELD type bullets due to older 270/270wsm rifles with slow twist barrels and period correct chamber cuts. Take any of the 270wsm actions, spin up a correctly cut chambered 1:8 twist barrel and load any of the 170/175 grain VLD/ELD bullets and you will achieve as much and more than the 6.8 Western while staying within magazine length.

I understand why they did this, but they put a nail in the coffin of the 270wsm. Serious long range hunters fixed the issues with 270, 7mm, and 300WSM with new barrels and have been enjoying them for years, but the average hunter probably would not be happy with ammo that might not perform well in their 1:9.5 twist barrels.

Winchester/Browning had two choices. 1) Come out with a completely different cartridge design and one that would not work in a 270WSM and call it the 6.8 Western or 2) Come up with new 270WSM ammo and call it something like 270WSM-A1, and build rifles capable of shooting this ammo accurately and, how-be-it, still being able to shoot the lighter grain weight bullet of the 270WSM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom