6.8SPC2 VS 6.5 Grendel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember correctly the 6.8 ballistics look terrible on paper. I completely understand that its a killing machine and paper means nothing to a deer but I think the 6.5 is head and shoulders above the 6.8 at range. I personally have a 300BO I been using for deer and pigs for a few years and wanted to build another AR and I skipped the 6.8 and went to the 6.5 because I felt the 6.5 would be a better choice. But thats just the way I remember it.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember correctly the 6.8 ballistics look terrible on paper. I completely understand that its a killing machine and paper means nothing to a deer but I think the 6.5 is head and shoulders above the 6.8 at range. I personally have a 300BO I been using for deer and pigs for a few years and wanted to build another AR and I skipped the 6.8 and went to the 6.5 because I felt the 6.5 would be a better choice. But thats just the way I remember it.

the published ballistics for the 6.8 are for the rush to army testing chamber, the original remington chamber was reamed and sammi'd from a blueprint that was mis-read. the spcII chamber allows higher pressures and more velocity, i start my reloading ladders about .5 grain from the incorrect sammi loads maximum, 2700 fps with a 110 grain bullet safely loaded is good enough for me, over 3000 fps with the 90 grain bullets is gravy. the sammi published data is for the design flawed chamber remington rushed to get tested for southern command. the spcII has no published specs from powder or bullet manufacturers and has not been submitted to sammi. it's my favorite round and 2700 fps out of 16" barrels is plenty. just my experience with reloading the rounds, most of what remington considers over max/unsafe loads are for their chamber, the chamber was redesigned by Harrison Beene and a Doctor in texas and performs good enough for me greatly overloaded by remington standards. if any of that makes sense LOL

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 55gr V-Max from my 16" barrel in 5.56 must look very bad on paper.

I am not one to jump onto some new round when what I have kills what i shoot at.
I find these new rounds very interesting though.
45 VRAP in AR15 and the 45 Raptor in AR10 look interesting.. like 45-70 power.
That must be hard on parts is the only thing going through my mind.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have 5.56, 7.62x39, 6.8 and 308. like them all, they all do well on paper and i wouldn't want to get shot by any of them LOL, the 6.8 has been around for about 10 years in the spcII version. i like it, i have a bunch of them,,,and the others too. don't hunt these days so i tinker with loads and shoot paper out at the gun club

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the published ballistics for the 6.8 are for the rush to army testing chamber, the original remington chamber was reamed and sammi'd from a blueprint that was mis-read. the spcII chamber allows higher pressures and more velocity, i start my reloading ladders about .5 grain from the incorrect sammi loads maximum, 2700 fps with a 110 grain bullet safely loaded is good enough for me, over 3000 fps with the 90 grain bullets is gravy. the sammi published data is for the design flawed chamber remington rushed to get tested for southern command. the spcII has no published specs from powder or bullet manufacturers and has not been submitted to sammi. it's my favorite round and 2700 fps out of 16" barrels is plenty. just my experience with reloading the rounds, most of what remington considers over max/unsafe loads are for their chamber, the chamber was redesigned by Harrison Beene and a Doctor in texas and performs good enough for me greatly overloaded by remington standards. if any of that makes sense LOL

That changes things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom