6 Flavor for new rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Caliber?

• 6 ARC

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • 6MM Creed

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 6.5 Grendel

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a new rifle. I had plans to get a 30 cal mile gun, but right now the cost of components isn't worth the squeeze for me. I'm intrigued by the short fat 6mm being recoil is very low. I like to see impacts and the below 3 will do it.

6 ARC and 6.5 Grendel will be in the AR Platform and 6mm Creed will be a bolt gun. I'm interested to hear real world barrel life, animal kills or just any experience with the 3 I have listed. Also, if you have another short action recommendation, I'd like to hear it. I kept .243 out of the list due to the factory twist rates on the barrels. I'd like to run 105-115 grain high BC bullets and not looking to do a custom build at the moment.

Thanks in advance OSA

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im looking at the 6 ARC right now as a new build. I got the lower just have not pulled the trigger on if im going to go crazy and built a bolt AR or keep it gas. I like to built one off rifles.
I was watching the Vortex podcast and one of the guns said he had a buddy who built a bolt gun in 6 ARC and ran a PRS match with it. Said the guy looked like he was just cycling the bolt. No movement on the rifle.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was watching the Vortex podcast and one of the guns said he had a buddy who built a bolt gun in 6 ARC and ran a PRS match with it. Said the guy looked like he was just cycling the bolt. No movement on the rifle.
Have a buddy that has an arc, says it shoots lights out, very soft recoil. Don't think he’s had a chance to hunt with it. I’m already into Grendel, so it doesn’t do enough for me to justify changing. 100gr bullets out of my Grendel shoot better groups at 1-200yds than the 123s, but don’t do as well at longer distance.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been in the "6mm conundrum" before. Was pretty set on a 6GT, but right at the end opted to just do another 6.5x47L as I already had a lot of .264 stuff on hand.

I have killed in the neighborhood of ~75 hogs with 6 different bullets in the 6.5 Grendel. It is a very underrated cartridge, but its biggest downside is getting velocity without going to a light (and lower BC) bullet. The 100gr TTSX though is a hammer, and 2600-2,700 FPS is very attainable. I think Maker gets bullets as light as 85gr in .264 too. Those light monolithics can get ARC speeds out of your Grendel, and don't do a bad job of killing either.

Target shooting, I think that the ARC has the edge though. I've also looked just a bit into a .22 Grendel.

The 6 creed in a heavy bolt gun will probably allow you to spot impacts without a brake/suppressor, but it won't be easy. Those don't recoil much less than my 6.5x47Ls, and at 20+ power, I'll almost lose my target in the FOV during recoil. I don't shoot those with a brake or suppressor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom