60 year old Remington 742

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought this rifle last year. It was in very rough shape but functioned flawlessly and was very accurate. The varnish was peeling to bare wood and the receiver had surface rust with slight pitting. The serial number dates back to 1959 but the condition was such that refinishing it would actually increase the value over keeping it original.

I took the gun completely apart. Down to every individual part, cleaning and polishing every piece. I buffed out the rust on the receiver and polished it with my buffing wheel before rebluing the metal. I stripped the stock to bare wood, stained it with English Chestnut, then sealed it with spar urethane.

Tonight, I gave this gun away. I gave it to my son in law for his birthday. I’ve got 3 daughters and never had a son until Hunter came along. If I were able to pick the best man for my daughter, I could not have picked a better one. He is a great husband, a wonderful father to my three grand daughters, and I am proud to have him in my family.

Happy birthday, Hunter!

39F7162A-6E98-48A2-B940-3232D7DD6A7A.jpeg
4910434F-5639-498A-8FF9-DB255C9D328D.jpeg

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought this rifle last year. It was in very rough shape but functioned flawlessly and was very accurate. The varnish was peeling to bare wood and the receiver had surface rust with slight pitting. The serial number dates back to 1959 but the condition was such that refinishing it would actually increase the value over keeping it original.

I took the gun completely apart. Down to every individual part, cleaning and polishing every piece. I buffed out the rust on the receiver and polished it with my buffing wheel before rebluing the metal. I stripped the stock to bare wood, stained it with English Chestnut, then sealed it with spar urethane.

Tonight, I gave this gun away. I gave it to my son in law for his birthday. I’ve got 3 daughters and never had a son until Hunter came along. If I were able to pick the best man for my daughter, I could not have picked a better one. He is a great husband, a wonderful father to my three grand daughters, and I am proud to have him in my family.

Happy birthday, Hunter!

View attachment 139078 View attachment 139079
Beautiful rifle. Your other 2 daughters married???

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I owned a 80's model 742. Great deer rifle. Wish I still had it but it will probably be banned in the future as a gas operated gun. The caliber was a weapon of war in today's political rhetoric.

Latest posts

Top Bottom