686 malfunction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bit ago I had purchased some steel cased 357 ammo and after one or two rounds it seemed to lock up my revolver. The fired cases were stuck back against the frame and I had to open the cylinder and force the swelled cases out. At this time I put the unfired rounds back in the box and gave that stuff away to another member here. Ever since this incident my cylinder has been "sticky" to open or close, which I assumed was a speck of metal somewhere inside the gun making a pain out of itself. I figured someday I'd get a gunsmith to deep clean it and fix the problem. Well today I said I'll just watch some youtube guys and figure it out. After some time I didn't find anything that related to my malfunction and at this point it wouldn't close at all. After some beating of my head against the desk I found that my ejector rod was partially unscrewed and a simple tightening (left hand thread by the way) had everything working great again. I wished I had asked someone here for advise but I was really convinced it had to do with that steel cased ammo.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you had asked here, I would have told you to check and make sure the screw that in the cylinder latch was tight. Mine has worked loose a couple of times, and resulted in the cylinder being hard to open. Good thing you figured it out, because that advice wouldn't have helped you at all. :rollingla

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you had asked here, I would have told you to check and make sure the screw that in the cylinder latch was tight. Mine has worked loose a couple of times, and resulted in the cylinder being hard to open. Good thing you figured it out, because that advice wouldn't have helped you at all. :rollingla
My cylinder latch screw is tight, but I'm glad to learn of another item to keep a watch on.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once learned the "extractor rod can come loose" issue too. It is one of those easy solutions that when you finally figure it out will never forget about...

...kind of like how the extractor rod in most S&Ws is left-hand (reverse) threaded. I was 12 wraps of duct tape and channel locks into that before I figured out how to loosen one (what an idiot, LOL). Fortunately my selective foresight prevented any damage.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I would have to call that an operator malfunction!! Quit bad mouthing that 686 and join the club of been there done that!! :cool:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have to call that an operator malfunction!! Quit bad mouthing that 686 and join the club of been there done that!! :cool:
I’ve not been there, done that, yet.…

I did launch the internals of a an original colt anaconda. Guess what they didn’t have back when that happens?, any useful diagram on putting it back together. A few months after I figured out how to get it all back together, someone posted a YouTube video. Best part, I’d been putting it back together correctly the whole time. The only part that didn’t fall out, the freaking bolt spring Bolt Spring | Gun Parts Corp. was installed wrong, probably from the factory. No idea how it every worked…

Latest posts

Top Bottom