686 vs 629

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barrel lengths being the same, does a 686 in 357 "balance" about the same as a 629 in 44?
I really like the way my long barrel 686 feels and shoots but people make it sound like the 629 in the same configuration would be unbearable. I'd think they would be pretty similar?

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Barrel lengths being the same, does a 686 in 357 "balance" about the same as a 629 in 44?
I really like the way my long barrel 686 feels and shoots but people make it sound like the 629 in the same configuration would be unbearable. I'd think they would be pretty similar?
Both are well-balanced, I think, and are about equal. I am referring to the 4" version. Of course the 629 has more recoil with magnum loads, but I think you knew that already.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I like the long barrels, it helps tame them quite a bit.

My 686 with the 8-3/8 barrel is a dream to shoot. My LCR...well I got rid of it. I know thats apples and oranges, but I'm thinking a 8-3/8 barrel on a 44 mag would tame the beast while actually giving it more velocity, similar to my 686.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its gotta help I'd think. I hope. Maybe? :)

Last .44 I shot was a buddies 3" Redhawk with HOT loads and it was not a pleasant experience. I'm not a wuss, but I'm just not a huge fan of major recoil in a hand gun.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don’t even notice the difference anymore. If you think 44 mag is big shoot something bigger for a while and you’ll come back to the 44mag thinking less of it. I mean it’s nothing to shake a stick at but it’s not really the monster people make it out to be. Especially with off the shelf loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom