686 vs 629

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering that the models are two different frame sizes, it is a fairly subjective question. Some individuals claim that the larger size of the N frame throws off their grip and trigger finger geometry making them less balanced / comfortable than an L frame. Barrel length and profile will also make a huge difference. For me...L's are a great all purpose gun that can be shot or carried. N's are equally (if not more) comfortable, but strictly used for shooting.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I likes me some recoil, and I think the 629 rocks! I shot D.Hargroves 629 snubby at the last ENS...it for sure had recoil too. Made my Glock 29 feel almost puny.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own 6" versions of those revolvers,,,
Unfortunately for me I have K-frame hands. :cry3:

But seriously,,,
The 629 is almost too large for me to accurately shoot one-handed at all,,,
The 686 is a wee bit more comfortable for me to grip tightly and I shoot it one-handed reasonably well.

That probably doesn't help you answer your query though,,,
I think it's something you will just have to try out.

Where do you live?,,,
Anywhere close to Stillwater?

Aarond

frayluisfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having owned a Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum, as well as a 686 (currently), I think a big factor is whether you reload. If you reload, you can tailor the power level to suit your preferences. I used to load my .44 rounds pretty mild...by .44 mag standards. A 240gr pill at 1000-1200 is plenty for all I wanted to do with a pistol. Ammo that's significantly more potent is available of course, but just isn't any fun to shoot, at least to me. So if you reload, you can load 'em as hot or as mild as you like. Kinda like making your coffee at home.

As far as relative weight (OP's question)--the N-frame 629 feels very similar to my 686, just a smidge heavier but well-balanced, at least in my hands. I've only ever picked up a 4-inch 629, but that's my preference. I found my 7.5" Redhawk was really nice to shoot, but very awkward to carry if you are in and out of a vehicle. The 4" barrel is much more vehicle-compatible.

Good luck!

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t even notice the difference anymore. If you think 44 mag is big shoot something bigger for a while and you’ll come back to the 44mag thinking less of it. I mean it’s nothing to shake a stick at but it’s not really the monster people make it out to be. Especially with off the shelf loads.
BAM!!!! .500 Magnum 4" Barrel with 700 gr. Underwoods. Nothing to see here, move along......

Attachments

• DAVE-500 FLASH.jpg
    DAVE-500 FLASH.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 104

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 6" 629 and a 4" 686....they are two very different revolvers and power/recoil levels. My favorite revolvers are my K frame S&W's.....go rent a few if you can or find a buddy that can let you try them out.

Regarding balance....I have no issue with either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom