6mm Rem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, and 99.9% don't shoot that much. 1500 rounds isn't a magic number for barrel wear either, lot's of factors there.

You are correct in shooting cadence and it's effect on barrel (throat) wear. So are a lot of other factors.

1,500 is being extremely generous in many cartridges though...especially the moment their run hard for a day or two (which is impossible to tell without inspection with a borescope). It isn't uncommon for many of those cartridges to burn .007 or more of throat every 100 rounds without being pushed hard. As a lover of all things .22-250, I am unfortunately very aware of this.

^ Now, accuracy expectations depend on the owner. If my rifle goes from .5 MOA to 1.5 MOA and I lose 75-100 FPS, or I start throwing uncalled fliers, I'm trashing the barrel...hence my original post about factoring a barrel swap if I buy a rifle chambered in a cartridge known to be a "barrel burner".

^ Therefore barrel life is subjective as well. For someone who is happy with MOA + performance, or doesn't mind setting the barrel back, then maybe they'll get another 500 rounds out of a barrel than I will.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Hair faster than a .243 based off of the .308 of course, it was Remington's answer to Winchester's .243 and they called it the .244 based off of a 7x57. Only problem was they used too slow of barrel twist, and it didn't take off like Remington wanted it to. So they went with a faster twist, and renamed the .244 to 6mm Rem. If you decide to sell let me know, I may know someone interested in the rifle and I'm definitely interested in the ammo. I've got a Rem Model 7 in 6mm and a Ruger 77 in 6mm.

I may end up keeping this thing. What’s the recommendations on powder for this 6mm Rem round?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I may end up keeping this thing. What’s the recommendations on powder for this 6mm Rem round?
I've always had good results with RL19, IMR 4831 and IMR4350 with 80-90gr bullets. Usually Nosler Partitions out of both of my rifles. It's not a picky round imo. Deer, antelope and coyotes. I've never used any 55gr bullets in them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 6mm may not like the 55 grain with the faster twist, but it's worth a try to get close to the 4000 fps speed with the RL-19 and Nosler BT ballistic tips.

Latest posts

Top Bottom