This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you are looking for a semi-auto vs bolt.
First, your purpose for a '7.62 rifle'?
Hunting?
Plinking?
Target?
Defense?
7.62x39?
7.62x51(NATO/.308)?

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've got 3 X39's, 2 built on Aero Precision receiver sets, and 1 on a MegaArms receiver set. fun and cheap to shoot, with good brass using CFE BLK you can goose them up around 2700 FPS. the new CPD mags work well with the AR platform

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you able to shoot steel case 7.62 in your AR builds? I've read you need a stiffer hammer spring and sometimes an extended firing pin and that the extractor is prone to breaking.
Looking online I've found complete uppers for 200-300. That's basically 400-500 for the whole setup using an existing lower.

The cheapest WASR I've found is 650. Is it the heritage that makes the WASR better? I think the ergonomics would go to the AR but as for maintenance and durability between the two the WASR might be better?

depends which bolt you buy. uses standard parts and runs fine, been tested with steel and brass both

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
7.62 x 39 in an AR is just wrong ............. But I am biased !:cool: I have an AK74 and an AK47 and will soon add an SKS . Both of the AK's are a hoot and mine have the added cool for me because I assembled them from parts kits.

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Goods and bads on those options,
Wasr-10, I haven’t had any issues out of the several I’ve owned, but a LOT of bad press on them having crooked sights and poor quality issues from Century. It’s an AK, as long as the one you get is put together correctly, it works like an AK. Drop it in the mud, wash it off with the garden hose, and it will function! Lots of cheap mags that work! I always keep a couple of AK’s around! I’m partial to M70’s, Maadi’s, and Norinco’s. It’s an AK, not a precision long range tool!

AR platform, it’s an adult LEGO set. You can build whatever you want out of it! I have built several AR’s in 7.62 and they are a little tricky to get to work some times, especially if you want it to shoot both brass and steel case ammo. When you get one put together right, they run like sewing machines. The biggest issue with x39 AR’s is magazines. This platform was not designed around this caliber, so this mag was designed as an afterthought and some have issues especially the 30 rounders. Another disadvantage with the AR, it is not as tolerant to dirt and grime as the AK. Accuracy would normally go in favor of the AR, most of these shoot pretty well.

Take a look at the PSA KS-47, it’s an ARish platform that takes AK mags. There are other hybrid’s out there, this is the one I have built, shot and own. This is one of my favorites right now and thinking about adding another. I am wanting to get away from the AR 7.62 magazines and just have 7.62’s using AK mags. Just some thoughts...

Latest posts

Top Bottom