7.62x39

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really feel like that cartridge has alot more to offer. I realize when you make ammo for a rifle with a sheetmetal reciever with a pop riveted in barrel, you can only push the pressure so far. But such is not the case with the AR design.
I plan to use the 135 matchking.
But.... for the record, my rifle does better than i thought it would on Tulamo from walmart. I cant wait to see how real ammo will do!!!!
Well I have an Arsenal SA93 which some folks argue is the best AK ever imported and best it will do with hand loaded ammo for me is about 2.5 inches at 100. I do have a Zastava bolt action that shoots flat base bullets into around 2 inches

Owlcreekok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my 'x 39 AR, I am shooting 123 Gr Hornady Amax bullets over 24.0 of IMR 4198 . 18" Green Mountain tube, 1:10. Shoots into an inch.

I Have used a load with same bullet and 14-15 grains of 2400, but only in an AKM. Would not run most of the rifles. A couple AKM's I assembled WOULD run that load, but the rails & BCG were "doctored" to do trix like that. Like any other AK, it shot minute of barn door. :)

MikieG7174

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First off, it is quite unfair to compare a rifle with 4 lands and grooves with a primitive locking design to a rifle with a 6 lands and grooves and a modern rotory locking design in the accuracy department.
The x39 cartridge is what it is because it was designed to be used in a primitive rifle that was made out of sheetmetal with its barrel pop riveted in. Hence the low chamber presures and velocities.
4198 seems to be the choice powder for the x39. I plan to up the pressures and velocity as the rifle i am loading for can handle it.
Like i said, the cartridge itseld has alot more to offer us.
I have .308 loaded for my FNH SPR bolt gun that i wouldnt dare put into my LWRCI REPR. Rifle design DOES matter.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The x39 cartridge is what it is because it was designed to be used in a primitive rifle that was made out of sheetmetal with its barrel pop riveted in.

Pop riveted? Are you talking about the RPD, SKS, or AK, as none of those have "pop riveted" barrels? I believe the RPD was threaded, the earlier SKSs were threaded, later models pressed and pinned, and the AK is a press and pin barrel.

MikieG7174

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Pop riveted? Are you talking about the RPD, SKS, or AK, as none of those have "pop riveted" barrels? I believe the RPD was threaded, the earlier SKSs were threaded, later models pressed and pinned, and the AK is a press and pin barrel.
You are correct. The AK has its barrel pressed and pinned (like a cheap .22lr built in the 50s) into the trunnion. The trunnion is then pop riveted into the sheetmetal reciever.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not "pop riveted", but squeeze riveted - there's quite a difference. Also note, the HK-91 is pressed and pinned as well, and, like the Kalashnikov rifles, is one of the most reliable rifles money can buy.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You compared "pressed and pinned" to being like a "cheap .22lr built in the 50s", so I just mentioned the fact that the HK is far from cheap, as well as fairly accurate and very reliable. It's true about the AKM being cheap to manufacture, and the design doesn't lend itself to "Camp Perry" accuracy. But many are more accurate than they're often given credit for. And right now, you can get an AR cheaper than an AK.:wink2:

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4198 s my goto powder, the thing to be aware of, especially if using a progressive loader is that different brands of brass use different size primers. Both Small Rifle and Large rifle primers depending on who made the brass.. Sure is annoying to have to stop because the wrong size primer hole got involved..

Latest posts

Top Bottom