7" AR Pistol - good, bad, ugly?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see that PSA is offering a "Marauder" AR upper with nitrided barrel, 5.56 chamber, and a 1/7 twist rate. It looks pretty cool with that can-like flash hider, but I think I read somewhere that 10.5" barrels were the shortest that could cycle reliably. Am I wrong in this regard? Can a 7" barrel work without excessive FTF's or FTE's? Any bullet weights to avoid with such a short barrel?

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 7" SBR that I don't think has had a single malfunction after a couple thousand rounds... Using a Noveske KX5 on the end of it.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the PSA 10.5 nitrided with the kAK flash can. It is very nice. If it were me I would get the 10.5. You can still shoot it out to a decent distance and don't lose that much velocity. Going any less drops the velocity and the shooting distance quite a bit. I got mine on sale for $349 with bcg and ch.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an 11.5 PSA upper which runs great. I want to get an 8.5 from them, later this year. I am not worried about the range I can get from anything with that short of a barrel. I figure it will be a fun range toy.
From what I have reading about 7.5-8.5 barrels is to get an adjustable gas block to solve any issues with it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, folks. I guess I should have prefaced my OP by adding that I do NOT want to cater to the NFA rules and $200 penalty, so my query was in regard to AR pistols that can be transported, bought, sold, given away, etc. without any further paperwork than perhaps a 4473.

Appreciate the input!

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, folks. I guess I should have prefaced my OP by adding that I do NOT want to cater to the NFA rules and $200 penalty, so my query was in regard to AR pistols that can be transported, bought, sold, given away, etc. without any further paperwork than perhaps a 4473.

Appreciate the input!
Don't bring up arm braces on an AR pistol, you will open whole different can of worms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom