72 year old friend wants to deer hunt for the first time but needs a rifle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad killed a lot of deer with an old British.303 rifle.
A lot of those old mil surps took care of business.

OP if recoil may be an issue then some lighter reloads (like 125 grain bullet in .308 Winchester) might be the ticket - but may not cycle a semi auto.

I know in some rifle calibers, Hornady had "Custom Lite" ammunition and Remington had "Managed Recoil" but I haven't seen those on the shelf since before Covid.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/custom-lite#!/https://www.remington.com/rifle/managed-recoil/

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Handi-Rifle in .223 or .243 would be my suggestion.
This is my thought.

As for the RG they don’t bring much at all but might bring enough to buy ammo and other things, but I would recommend borrowing a rifle as it’s his first time. I’ve owned a couple of these pistols and I never did well selling them. Look on armslist, it’s more realistic than gun brokerage prices imo.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short background: Years ago my wife took a local English class where she made several new friends, she's Domincan. Through one of them we met the girls father, who turned out to be one of the kindest big hearted people/friends my wife has made here in OK over the last 11 years. Being new this country at the time, my wife often called on him for help before she had a drivers license (me being at work), and he was always there to help. It's been over 10 years now and he has never failed as a trusting soul and good friend. He lives on limited means so we try to help where we can. He's like family to me at this point.

He enjoys the few deer hunting stories I have to tell each season, along with sharing the meat/meals we always offer. Yesterday he showed up with a Model RG 31 .38 in his hand. He said it was a gift, I think from his son, and he humbly asked me if I could try and trade it for a deer rifle. He said a .22 not realizing he needs more like a 243. Since he's never hunted, he wants to go with me next season. After doing some research on the RG 31 I told him it wasn't of much value but I would see what I could find.

So, as opposed to putting it in the classified, which would lack the above context, I thought I'd show it here and see if anyone might have an older 243, or whatever, that they might want to trade with a bit of cash added. I figured I would throw in on the cash side and say little since he's usually against me helping him with money, unless he earns it. I did test fire the gun and it is fully functional. Someone damaged a screw head trying to get it out, can be seen in the pic. Inside barrel looks decent. All component tight. Thanks for lis
Short background: Years ago my wife took a local English class where she made several new friends, she's Domincan. Through one of them we met the girls father, who turned out to be one of the kindest big hearted people/friends my wife has made here in OK over the last 11 years. Being new this country at the time, my wife often called on him for help before she had a drivers license (me being at work), and he was always there to help. It's been over 10 years now and he has never failed as a trusting soul and good friend. He lives on limited means so we try to help where we can. He's like family to me at this point.

He enjoys the few deer hunting stories I have to tell each season, along with sharing the meat/meals we always offer. Yesterday he showed up with a Model RG 31 .38 in his hand. He said it was a gift, I think from his son, and he humbly asked me if I could try and trade it for a deer rifle. He said a .22 not realizing he needs more like a 243. Since he's never hunted, he wants to go with me next season. After doing some research on the RG 31 I told him it wasn't of much value but I would see what I could find.

So, as opposed to putting it in the classified, which would lack the above context, I thought I'd show it here and see if anyone might have an older 243, or whatever, that they might want to trade with a bit of cash added. I figured I would throw in on the cash side and say little since he's usually against me helping him with money, unless he earns it. I did test fire the gun and it is fully functional. Someone damaged a screw head trying to get it out, can be seen in the pic. Inside barrel looks decent. All component tight. Thanks for listening.
I've got a sporterized 93 mauser 7mm. Don't think it's legal to give it to him but I'll sell it for 1$ to him, If he can legally own it. Shoots 140 gr shells fairly well. But even 175 gr shoot well enough for deer under 100 yards. Trouble is it's at farm and I won't be back there till next weekend. Few boxes of shells some old some new. Even some old cupro nickel stuff.ive shot several hogs with it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a sporterized 93 mauser 7mm. Don't think it's legal to give it to him but I'll sell it for 1$ to him, If he can legally own it. Shoots 140 gr shells fairly well. But even 175 gr shoot well enough for deer under 100 yards. Trouble is it's at farm and I won't be back there till next weekend. Few boxes of shells some old some new. Even some old cupro nickel stuff.ive shot several hogs with it.

Bought one of those Mausers in '89, for first rifle for son. Winchester 145 gr SP shoot great. Still shoots it, for deer. His favorite rifle.

Nice offer, Jack.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a kind and generous offer.....I really like our little community.

Latest posts

Top Bottom