78 cents on 11/4/20

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC correctly, about a year ago, or so, Aldi's near me had a dozen eggs for 88 cents. I was astounded that anybody at that time could sell eggs for 88 cents.

Ya know what ya call a chicken coop with 4 doors? .......... Chicken Sedan.

Young kids just don't get that joke, at all.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddies parents have a chicken barn in Arkansas. Actually about 5 of them with over 100,000 chickens. They had to "adopt" alligators to eat the ones that die daily and are making more money from the gators than the chickens selling the meat and hides.
Pretty low profit business from what I hear with all chickens contracted to the big chicken sellers like Tyson that set the prices supplying the chicks, and food, meanwhile destroying the water clarity at Tenkiller lake that used to be a scuba diver destination.
Drew Edmondson fought this for years in the courts but Arkansas won.
I haven’t been up to 10 killer in probably about 20 years but I remember it was crystal clear

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind folks we are only a year and a half into this **** storm.

Dont be shocked if the left pulls out all the stops to screw with the mid term elections. They have full power right now and are bound and determined to **** up this country.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
did a little rough figuring yesterday. on egg production alone not considering housing water and labor etc. with the price of layer pellets and the farm flock egg production as is-----it is still a little cheaper to buy store bought eggs! at 3.50 dozen

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddies parents have a chicken barn in Arkansas. Actually about 5 of them with over 100,000 chickens. They had to "adopt" alligators to eat the ones that die daily and are making more money from the gators than the chickens selling the meat and hides.
Pretty low profit business from what I hear with all chickens contracted to the big chicken sellers like Tyson that set the prices supplying the chicks, and food, meanwhile destroying the water clarity at Tenkiller lake that used to be a scuba diver destination.
Drew Edmondson fought this for years in the courts but Arkansas won.
I’ve spent the last 30 years working in or around the poultry industry, and it’s extremely expensive to get into it with a very low ROI. The houses they’re currently building around here are 600’ long by 43’ wide and cost close to $400k each with dirt work. To really make money, you need 8-10 houses. Like the pot industry, it’s being taken over by Asians.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The chicken business seems like it’s a great way to screw the chicken farmer and make money for large corporations.
You’re right, but there are A BUNCH of folks waiting in line to build houses even though they won’t even cash flow. Basically, if you don’t have a ton of money to put down, it’s a losing proposition from the start.
My Dad always said that if a man has the money to get into the chicken business why he would want to get into the chicken business.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s a good price these days. My wife buys stupid organic egg cartons with pretty pictures of chickens and barns and she happily pays $6 a dozen for them. Don’t ask me…😔
I tend to buy my eggs from natural grocers. They’re typically really expensive, but in my opinion probably the best eggs I can buy in a store. If you sign up with your phone number for their rewards and keep an eye out they regularly have sales on eggs every week or two, and can buy really nice quality brown eggs with orange yolks for $2 a dozen if I remember right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom