7mm STW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just finished up this 7mm STW and had hopped for more and better pictures, but all I got was these 3 from my phone. My camera and computer both are having major issues!

This rifle has one of McMillan's new Game Warden stocks.

The barrel is 30" long and my muzzle brake adds an extra 1 3/4" to that.

Sorry I don't have more pictures to share.

20190315_174553.jpeg

20190315_174620.jpeg

20190315_174228.jpeg

Last edited:

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice build. Worked with STW some years back, my old toasted brain said in the 90's, second hand Remington 700. Sold it to to a guy in Montana. Good deer killer. Great long range coyote killer. My friend had one on a Ruger no. 1. I still have the Reamer from that build. One build on it. That was a favorite hunting gun form friend. Bet that gun is still sitting in his gun safe gathering dust. He die last year and the safe now belongs to his son. Fortunately when his son finds it he will appreaciate it.

With a 30 inch barrel do you really need a muzzle brake? Is that a Remington 700 action? What special game are you playing to need a 30 inch barrel?

Have you shoot yet? How does it shoot?

I tried to find the old load manual I kept back then of the loads and groups we shot, before I wrote here. Looks like all I have left are memories.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, that is a Remington 700.

This gun was built for a customer in Ohio, and since he requested a muzzle brake, I made and installed one.

I shot the gun 3 times before packaging it up and shipping it off. I test fire everything I build to make sure headspace and chamber dimensions are correct.

This gun will go to Africa for plains game sometime this year, and this Fall it will be used for elk and mule deer.

I use to shoot a 7mm STW years ago, and shot Sierra's 160 Boat Tail Spitzer under a stiff charge of IMR-7828.

The first year Remington started producing their Sendero model 7mm Remington Magnum with a 26" barrel, I took in 500 guns in 12 months to rechamber to the 7mm STW. I also added muzzle brakes to some of those guns, as well as did trigger jobs as well as glass bedded the actions. The second year, I took in 300 and did the same rechambering and work on them. Back then, the 7mm STW was one of the most popular cartridges to come along in a long time.

And as far as custom rifles in 7mm STW go, I have built well over 300 full custom rifles in that chambering.

The gun pictured at the beginning of this thread, is the first 7mm STW built within the last 10 years! Now days though, most everything is in 6.5 caliber this or that, factory or wildcat.