80% "Glocks" legal to carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is a Glock built on an 80% frame "homemade".

• Total voters

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reason I ask is according to statute, it is illegal to carry a homemade pistol. Personally, I wouldn't consider it a homemade pistol as I didn't make anything, I modified and assembled it. I know the ATF considers the frame or lower the firearm (80% is not a firearm, I know), and since this is the part that's modified, and not considered a firearm at time of purchase, this becomes a grey area. The custom "glock" thing is taking off, and it is possible to build one entirely out of non-glock parts. A friend just built one with Brownells parts and posed this question to me so I thought I'd ask ya'll opinions.

According to TITLE 21 § 1290.7 CONSTRUING AUTHORITY OF LICENSE, The authority to carry a concealed or unconcealed handgun pursuant to a valid handgun license as authorized by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not be construed to authorize any person to: 3. Carry or possess any prohibited ammunition or any illegal, imitation or homemade pistol;

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reason I ask is according to statute, it is illegal to carry a homemade pistol. Personally, I wouldn't consider it a homemade pistol as I didn't make anything, I modified and assembled it. I know the ATF considers the frame or lower the firearm (80% is not a firearm, I know), and since this is the part that's modified, and not considered a firearm at time of purchase, this becomes a grey area. The custom "glock" thing is taking off, and it is possible to build one entirely out of non-glock parts. A friend just built one with Brownells parts and posed this question to me so I thought I'd ask ya'll opinions.

According to TITLE 21 § 1290.7 CONSTRUING AUTHORITY OF LICENSE, The authority to carry a concealed or unconcealed handgun pursuant to a valid handgun license as authorized by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not be construed to authorize any person to: 3. Carry or possess any prohibited ammunition or any illegal, imitation or homemade pistol;
I think they are talking more about a zip gun.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont believe in ghosts. Still wouldn't carry it under normal circumstances. The whole point of these 80% "rainy day" guns are for rainy days...if it ain't rainin' don't carry it.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think anyone, aside from bona fide lawyers, could in good conscious say that it is legit.

after all, if you take someone's 'advice' and get caught up, there's only one person that is going to answer for it if the government comes, and that's you.

some random guys opinion on the internet doesn't mean **** legally.

when it comes to firearm laws in this country, it's better to avoid taking unnecessary risks. that's just my opinion of course.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think anyone, aside from bona fide lawyers, could in good conscious say that it is legit.

after all, if you take someone's 'advice' and get caught up, there's only one person that is going to answer for it if the government comes, and that's you.

some random guys opinion on the internet doesn't mean **** legally.

when it comes to firearm laws in this country, it's better to avoid taking unnecessary risks. that's just my opinion of course.

Understood, but since there isn't any legal precedent, even a bona fide lawyer is just giving an opinion. Ask two different lawyers, get two different opinions. Which if you read the last line of my OP, opinions are all I asked for. I spoke to one attorney and he said he believed it referred to zip guns, and not 80% or home built guns. He even found the statute where they clarified and removed homemade, imitation, flare guns etc from another statute defining guns, but it was left in this one. So I imagine that this is just like the OAL length vs barrel length language that used to be there where one stature listed OAL less than 16, and the other listed barrel length less than 16. Even the ATF gives conflicting info on braces, OAL, etc.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was this gun made by a licensed manufacturer and had serial # stamped on it as required by law?
If the answer is NO! Then it is homemade! Simple enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom