80 MPH SPEED SIGNS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes you just want to go fast. Like really fast.
Actually my really fast car was sold and today it would probably not be really fast just more like eeehhhh.
It would only reach 176 MPH in 3/4 of a mile. I think some new cars can do that.
I had a trailer hitch on it and it would also pull my boats etc.
That short block is in my 57 chevy. Not letting it go

I like me some speed.
I guess it is in my blood to stay.

I like speed also but don't like getting the checkbook out for the Ticket. I would like to see the Turner Turnpike made into a highly limited access turnpike and increase the speeds even higher [maybe 90-100] Only in a 3rd lane all the way to OKC from Tulsa. Its 75- 80 MPH for me for now.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Easy to fix, just costs money.
http://www.diablewtune.com/

While I like the MFD of the Trinity, I have no idea where I'd mount it so I'll probably go with the Trifecta Performance "Advantage" tune when they have their Black Friday sale at the end of the month. They seem to be the preferred vendor over on ColoradoFans.com . It's supposed to make more torque at 2100rpm than the stock tune at 2800rpm. I don't really care about hp gains. Torque gains at highway cruising rpms should be more helpful at keeping the transmission from hunting gears. They also completely remap the transmission for better economy and shift logic (the real reason to get a tune for these trucks).

I took the truck in once and had the transmission ECU re-flashed. I immediately picked up 1.5-2 mpg, until the transmission "re-learned" and it went back to sucksville. It just blows that I have to spend $300+ extra for something the factory should've figured out by now. :(

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a used but unmarried DiabloSport i2 for $150.00 and installed the canned 97 tune with firm shift on my 2010 5.3 6 speed. Also disabled the Active Fuel Management crap, made all the difference in the world on how the truck behaves and how the transmission shifts. Not sure if I'm going to spend the money for a custom tune, all the Chevy forums are raving about how well the Lew tune works, more power, better gas mileage and smoother transmission shifts.

Although I thought I had, I didn't do enough research before buying the 2010. Lots of 07 - 13 owners among other issues have had cam/lifter problems caused by that stupid AFM. Was going by my experience with my 2000 260,000 mile 5.3 thinking I would get the same service. If I could do it over I would look for a low mileage pre 2007.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a used but unmarried DiabloSport i2 for $150.00 and installed the canned 97 tune with firm shift on my 2010 5.3 6 speed. Also disabled the Active Fuel Management crap, made all the difference in the world on how the truck behaves and how the transmission shifts. Not sure if I'm going to spend the money for a custom tune, all the Chevy forums are raving about how well the Lew tune works, more power, better gas mileage and smoother transmission shifts.

Although I thought I had, I didn't do enough research before buying the 2010. Lots of 07 - 13 owners among other issues have had cam/lifter problems caused by that stupid AFM. Was going by my experience with my 2000 260,000 mile 5.3 thinking I would get the same service. If I could do it over I would look for a low mileage pre 2007.

The Trifecta crew do tunes for most GM vehicles, but they specialize in the 3.6L V6 in the Caddy, Camaro and Colorado twins. They completely rewrote their tune for the Colorado in 2017 when the 8L45 8 speed became standard. That's one of the reasons the forum likes it so much.

I have the option to choose whether to leave AFM untouched, disable in "Sport" mode or completely disable it. I was leaning towards disable in Sport because it's mostly been invisible to me, to the point I have to watch the DIC change from V6 to V4 and back when off the throttle. That's the only time I've observed it to ever activate.

Now I'm wondering if I should opt for full disable, as I don't really see how it could add much of anything to fuel savings with the way it works?

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last night coming back from Grove, I got pulled over on the Will Rogers Turnpike. I was doing 88 mph. The officer walked up to the truck, I gave him my drivers and gun license and asked me where I was going and coming from. He was very nice. I also asked me how my driving record was and I told him very good. He gave me my gun license back and said that I was going just a bit to fast and he was going to write me a warning. He didn't even ask for my insurance. I was back on the road in about 5 minutes. Very nice guy.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you move the goal post, because they push the envelope, they push the envelope further.
No denying it so don't attempt.

That same group will push no matter the posted speed limit but they are a small group. The MAJORITY of folks will still drive within their comfort zone and current habits.
I see folks out there driving 65 mph no matter the posted speed that is already 75 mph. They will not change either because the posted speed is raised to 80 MPH.
People are creatures of habit and most folks will drive within 5 MPH of posted speed on the turnpike.

Latest posts

Top Bottom