80s car question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MP43

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember GM testing this idea on some prototype/show car designs back then. The engine was a modular "power unit" with the belts, fluids, etc., all intended to last the life of the unit. "Maintenance" was limited to swapping the whole thing for a new one every 100 thousand miles or so. Whether because they never worked out the bugs or popular backlash, they never used it on a production car.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Olds Fiero

Highly marketed, huge failure.

In the article, pre-lease marketing hype, the "journalist" asked the GM exec, "based on production cost, what price point do you see this auto placed in the market?"

The GM exec answered, "Cost to produce has little bearing on list price. We price all vehicles on what we feel the market will pay."
Oldsmobile never made a fiero, they made a Firenza. Pontiac made the fiero. This car was only dealer serviceable. You could not open the hood yourself. If memory serves me correctly, it had some sort of screen for an oil filter.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember GM testing this idea on some prototype/show car designs back then. The engine was a modular "power unit" with the belts, fluids, etc., all intended to last the life of the unit. "Maintenance" was limited to swapping the whole thing for a new one every 100 thousand miles or so. Whether because they never worked out the bugs or popular backlash, they never used it on a production car.
You may be talking about it.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A buddy of mine bought a new Fiero back in the day. We all gave him heck about it. My 6'6" big ass rode in that thing to Tulsa and back once. I really gave him heck about it after that.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so my google-Fu is kinda weak today. Years ago I read in an article about an early 80s GM vehicle that didn't have an opening hood. You had to take It to a dealer for any sort of service. It went over like a lead balloon and didn't last long, but, I cannot remember or find what model of car It was. I'm thinking it was an Oldsmobile, but I can't find one mentioning a hood that didn't open. Help me out hive.
I'm not absolutely sure but it seems to me that the experimental Chrysler Turbine Engine cars of the '70's (program ended in '79) had a hood that could only be opened by a dealer, being that there were no owner serviceable parts inside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom