8x50R and GP90. Also, .32

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rakkal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone ever reloaded the above? Trying to keep some of my old girls alive and both are scarce...I know I can cut down a 7.62x54r case but I don't have any data or dies for it. As for GP90, I have the 7.5 Swiss dies, which I believe will work but again, no data. I heard loading is similar to .30-40 Krag however. Any input on these old defunct calibers?

Also, I'm trying to see the most cost effective way of reloading .32 S&W short and long, ACP and potentially 7.65 longue. I have read S&W short and long can be easily done be changing the bullet seating, and ACP could also potentially be done with the same dies.

Thanks in advance!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
is this helpful at all.
8mm Lebel data is no longer included in modern reloading manuals. In fact, even my oldest reloading manual, dating back to the early 1960's, does not list the cartridge. Cartridges of the World suggests that 49 grains of IMR 4895 powder behind a 170 grain bullet produces a MV of 2570 fps and ME of 2500 ft. lbs. The same source suggests 46 grains of IMR 3031 powder behind a 198 grain bullet as a duplicate for the military load. The MV is 2380 fps and ME is 2481 ft. lbs. No other details about these reloads are given. I would guess that they were probably tested in surplus French Lebel military rifles, as there is virtually nothing else available chambered for the cartridge.

coppied from http://www.chuckhawks.com/8mm_lebel.htm.

I have a feeling tools to measure things will be your best friend when attempting things like this..

rakkal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahh forgot to mention, Steyr not Lebel. Even harder to find, I still see shreds of Lebel here and there. Thanks for that info though!

rmark

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7.5x55 swiss dies will work, use 30-40 Krag data. One problem with light loads and .308 bullets is getting the case neck to seal sometimes.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been loading 32 sw long with a 77gr bullet over 2.8 grains of 800-x with fair accuracy and good economy.
Now that I found some HP38 I plan to give that a try.
It's an easy cartridge to reload.

I gave up on 32acp and just shoot the cheap imported ammo when I can find it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a great video on loading the 8x50R.
He took Hornady #3330 bullets that measure .338" and ran them through a lee bullet sizer to make them .331" and added 43gr of 3031 powder.\

If it was my gun i would probably try to find a cast bullet mold and shoot cast from it to begin with as this is a low pressure round and the same powder will work with the cast loads.
I shoot cast from my 30-30.. yes not the same cat.. but i have used many powders with great success in it with gas checked cast bullets.

I used Varget ,3031, H4530, red dot, IMR and Hercules 2400. all of them shot very good with H4350 being best.. who would have thought.
That is not even listed in load data.
Neck turning my 30-30 brass really improved the cast loads accuracy. I have neck turned for my .308 and noticed no accuracy improvements.

What the neck turning did for me in the 30-30 was eliminate those pesky unexplained fliers. So if you are searching for ultimate accuracy this may be something to check out.
Here is the video on reloading the 8x50R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss8KzT8orbE

Latest posts

Top Bottom