9 Vs.40 Vs..45 NOT a power debate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok with all of my pontification, I have a .380 in my pocket as we speak.
Beat me up if you need to.

I'm a man, and I'm over 40.......I can take it.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have noticed the same shift from .40 back to .45 and 9mm. I just figured it was due to the fact that the ammo. may be harder to come by one of these days if (SHTF). That being said, I still think the .40 is a good compromise between the others for penetration and wound channel purposes.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I moved away from .40 a few years back just because I didn't like the snap recoil that it brings.
I have 9mm and 45acp now and I really don't see a reason to have a .40 when those 2 rounds will do everything I need them to do.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When using ball ammo (which is what the military is forced to use) then 45 is obviously a better round over the 9mm. But with JHP and +p ammo, there really isn't much difference between 9mm, .40, .45acp, etc...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I moved away from .40 a few years back just because I didn't like the snap recoil that it brings.
I have 9mm and 45acp now and I really don't see a reason to have a .40 when those 2 rounds will do everything I need them to do.

This ...

When using ball ammo (which is what the military is forced to use) then 45 is obviously a better round over the 9mm. But with JHP and +p ammo, there really isn't much difference between 9mm, .40, .45acp, etc...

and this ...

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a .380, .40, and a .45.

The primary, "fighting" weapon I own is my XD in .40. Why? When other ammo was scarcer than hen's teeth, I could still go to WalMart, Outdoor America, or Academy in .40. I think LEOs like having a caliber unique to them, so they are not competing with other buyers when it comes time to buy. Just my 2 cents. For the record, if 9mm was more available and I got such a smokin' deal on a 9mm as I did my .40, I probably would have opted for the 9.

I have heard that and it never made sense to me. I always though owning 1 larger caliber (9mm, .45, or 40) and 1 smaller (.32 or .380) offer far more versatility than 9 and .45. Owning all three larger calibers seems redundant to me (again, just my 2 cents). But hey, it sure is fun :)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What does .40 ammo cost these days? I'll admit that I've fired several thousand rounds of .40 and I've never fired a factory round, but I remember back in the glut .40 was just a little more than 9mm and it's availability was better then 9mm too, at least from what I remember. I'm surprised that .40 is being replaced by .45, both are great rounds, but .45 is just expensive as hell. 9mm on the other hand, I can see. Cheaper, less recoil and much more mag capacity.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My carry alternates between 9mm and .38+P. I have a 10mm which I love, but I carry the 9mm. The ammo is easier to get, and modern defense rounds do the job just fine. The .40 never really caught my attention. I always thought about getting one, but couldn't really get excited about it. If I'm going to jump from a 9mm, it's going to be a .45 Statistically I have no answers...it's just personal feelings.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm kind of seeing on the net that some departments are going the 9mm route.
Our soldiers say different.

While standard Nato ball is loaded hot compared to most commercial 9mm it is still a ball round, you would be getting different feedback from the troops if the Geneva Convention allowed them to carry hollowpoints.

Now Dennis,you're surely not comparing the old ball ammo from then to the modern high speed bonded hollowpoints of today are you??

While the .45ACP is near and dear to my heart Redmax makes a very good point when it comes to modern loadings vs turn of the century powders and bullet bonding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom