9 Vs.40 Vs..45 NOT a power debate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the reason for the change is not so much the caliber, but the gun. The Glock 22 was extremely popular with Police Departments across the country. BUT, the Glock 22 is also Glock's problem child. They have had more problems and recalls with that particular model more than any other. As Robar said too, the sharp snap in the recoil is the reason many don't like it.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I stopped carrying a 40, and went to a 9, because I figure the ability to practice more would give a bigger edge than the slightly larger bullet. I would like a .45, but mainly cause I want a 1911.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dennishoddy
We are in the same boat. I like to shoot .
But when it come to a duty/SD situation, I'm going to go with the .45. Troops in the Philippine insurrection found that the .38/9mm was not effective, and a call from the Gov resulted in John M Browning coming out with the 1911.
In semi-auto, nothing more is king. I have a back-up report from a ME in Texas that has done mulitple autopsies from gunshot victims.
His report is that every cadaver he examined, that was shot with the 9mm/.38 required multiple shots to take out the perp.
The perps shot with the .45 required one shot.

they were dead either way, but the one shot thing has always appealed to me.

I don't think it is fair to add 9mm to the Philippine conflict of 1899 or whatever the correct date was. It is my understanding that they were using a .38 caliber 'short'. A slow bullet, in the neighboorhood of 700 or 750 fps. Not on same level as the 1100 - 1200 fps 9mm allow we use today. Also, they were using thick wood shields that the .38 short would not penetrate.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I switched from 40 back to 9 - sharp recoil, especially one-handed, makes getting back on target MUCH harder.
I love my 1911 and really considering carrying it; I said it before and I'll say it again:

45 ACP fired from 1911 does NOT (note the "NOT") become 45-70!!!!! I realize there is "45" in both - they are just NOT the same. SORRY.

When SHTF, you fire till threat stops. No common pistol has enough energy to do anything but poke holes: bigger hole gives a small edge on hitting something important - but poking TWO holes give you a magnitude larger chance of hitting something important.

P.S. All the "expert" 9mm bashing just gets my blood pressure up - I swear, if 9mm did it's job, they just write it off as 357 mag: ignoring the fact that without the case NO ONE can tell the difference.

Last edited:

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a .40 for a long time and it was okay - nothing wrong with it. It just didn't light my fire. When I retired I was one of those that went to 9mm & .45, because I like both those calibers. Actually, I can find nothing wrong with any of the three - as a tool, they will all do the job. For me 9mm is fun to shoot, fairly economical, and, with modern ammunition, is very effective. I own two of them - a little single stack and a high cap. It wouldn't bother me to carry either for self defense. But...I own seven .45s (although one is .45 Colt) and that's what I carry 99% of the time. Had one on under a black tee shirt today. I really like shooting them and I carry em just because I want to and I can.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just got back from wally world... $51 for 250 rounds 9mm ... cheapest pistol round to shoot besides .22LR

Glock 17 mated to Surefire X200 weapons light has all but taken over house warming duties from TRS-870.

packing .357 mag for CCW with 340PD. no fancy self defensive ammo needed for .357 or .45acp.

still enjoy shooting .45 in my 1911 ... but duty rounds has turned into .357 mag and 9mm

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_glock17surefire.JPG

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny you say that - I bet that 357 snub shoots no faster than the G17 in 9mm; kicks like mule; carries 11 rounds less; and only 1" shorter.

Discuss....

I've never been a fan of 357 snubs loaded with 357 ammo. When I carried a 357 snub in the past, it was loaded with 38+P ammo.

I normally carry a 1911 45 auto (strange, given my board name) because it is comfy (thin) and no one argues a 45 is not enough unless grizzly bears are the discussion topic. :) If capacity is an issue/concern then I carry a 17rd 9mm and some spare mags. Either caliber is loaded with quality JHP ammo fed by high quality magazines.

40 is just really snappy on recoil. It wouldn't bother me too much, but taking a novice to comfortable shooting with a 9mm is easier than if using a 40. Until harder barriers must be penetrated, I don't see a huge advantage to 40 over 9mm.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, according to the Ballistics by the Inch:

9mm Cor Bon 125 gr. JHP +P 4" barrel (g17 is 4.4") ........ 1226fps
.357 mag Cor Bon 125 gr. JHP 2" barrel (340pd is close) .... 904fps

Max Muzzle Energy Values, same barrel lengths:
9mm Cor Bon 115 gr. JHP +P ........ 445 ft*lbs
.357 mag Cor Bon 125 gr. DPX ..... 305 ft*lbs

Yes, that's an unfair comparison. If we compare more fairly, say a KT PF-9 or Kahr PM9 (both 3" barrels, but they're the smallest 9mm's available) to the 2" .357 Mag:
9mm Cor Bon 125 gr. JHP +P 3" barrel ........ 1170fps
.357 mag Cor Bon 125 gr. JHP 2" barrel ........ 904fps

Max Muzzle Energy Values, same barrel lengths:
9mm Cor Bon 115 gr. JHP +P ........ 395 ft*lbs
.357 mag Cor Bon 125 gr. DPX ..... 305 ft*lbs

Considering both the PF-9 and 340PD weigh about the same, the PF-9 is thinner, and costs half or less than the 340PD, carries 6+1 in it, with 6 more a quick reload behind... There's only one reason I can think of to choose a wheelie vs a pocket auto: reliability. And that still remains a question mark with these guns. .357 airweights are not known as having the greatest longevity, even among .357s. The KT PF-9 isn't perfectly reliable from internet reports, but many of the individuals I've known that owned them have had good reports. On a small gun like these in particular, consistent practice is critically important. So you're left with the choice of a pocket auto that you have to shoot quite a bit to verify reliability, and a revolver that you could shoot out with a lot of hot loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom