929 & Willson Combat Custom Tune Spring Kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't vouch for the Wilson kit, but I'm currently running a 6# DA trigger in my 929 using a reduced power Wolff kit (w/ 13# rebound spring), Apex hammer, and Apex enhanced firing pin (w/ Federal primers of course). Only mentioning this in the event that you are contemplating the Wolff spring kit versus the Wilson Combat. I highly recommend the Apex hammer if you don't mind losing SA.

docohm

Maximus Shooterist
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't heard about the Apex hammer, what advantage does it have? Why do you loose SA with it? You only changed the rebound spring? Not the hammer spring?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Apex hammer is specifically for smooth and fast DA and lacks the SA notch, IIRC. (I could be wrong)
ETA: Randy Lee is probably the worlds foremost S&W revolver action guru (currently), he can get them down into the 4-5lb range and still work with Federal primers. I have no idea how but he does it. Good luck getting your gun in though, his wait is about forever.

As to the Wilson spring kit, I've found that the strain screw had to be trimmed or you would end up with a harder pull. Not a little bit, like 20lbs+. Wasn't a big deal as I was planning on trimming it down to 6'ish lbs anyway. They are good springs but any time you lighten a main spring you need to test it for ignition reliability. The Wolff springs I've used were closer to fitting like the factory spring. Both are good.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You only changed the rebound spring? Not the hammer spring?

The Wolff reduced power kit comes with one reduced power mainspring and three reduced power rebound springs. The 13# rebound spring is what I used in conjunction with the included mainspring. The 11# and 12# rebound springs lead to a sluggish trigger return IMO. As Shadowrider noted, usually your strain screw will need to be shortened in order to reach the desired pull weight.

BTW...mainsprings tend to relax with age and strain screw tips will mushroom with use so a reliable ignition weight today may not always be reliable down the road.

docohm

Maximus Shooterist
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reviewing the details on the Wilson Combat spring kit vs. the Wolff spring kit I think you guys are correct, the Wolff spring is better. It has a different design on the mainspring. I think I'll order the Wolff kit, I've used Wolff springs on other guns with good success. Thanks for your help!!

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Wolff kits better than Wilson from my experience. I tried Wilson a couple times only to pull them out and get Wolff to replace the replacements LOL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom