94 F150 Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just posted a request for mechanic recommendations, and I figured I may as well see if anyone here can help diagnose my truck issues.

It's a 1994 F-150 4x4 with the E4OD transmission and 216K miles on the original 5.0 engine. It idles perfectly and runs fine for short drives of 10-20 miles. The problems start on longer drives. A few years ago I drove from Tulsa to OKC to meet an OSA member, and about halfway there the engine started to bog and the CEL came on and I seem to remember hearing some pops like a backfire but up under the hood . After a few seconds it suddenly surged til I lifted off the gas, and then seemed to return to normal. The CEL also went off. This happened repeatedly the rest of the way to OKC, with longer duration and increasing frequency. After nursing it to the meeting, I let it cool down completely. Everything I could check looked fine, so I started her up and she purred like a kitten. On the way home the same thing happened and I felt lucky to make it without needing a tow.

It's frustrating because it idles smoothly and runs good even after the engine temps come up. The problem doesn't seem to crop up unless it's driven at least 40-50 miles without stopping to cool down. The only code I remember getting was for the O2 sensor, which has been replaced a couple of times.

I've replaced the following so far:

Fuel Pump, Coil, Distributor, Plugs and Plug Wires, Ignition Control Module
Sensors: O2, Throttle Position, Coolant Temperature

EGR and IAC Valves looked good but haven't been replaced
Can't find any leaks in the vacuum lines (using ether and propane)

Anybody have any ideas? I think it's emissions related, but I can't find any issues there. Two mechanics thought they fixed it, but unfortunately both were wrong. I'm still looking for a mechanic who knows this particular model inside out, particularly the emissions control system.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you replaced the distributor, was it a complete unit?

I've had the sensor (that picks up impulses from the rotating spider) go bad and do the same thing.

Whatever it is, my money is on an electronic component (lol, that probably doesn't help much). When electronic components get weak, heat can make 'em go wonky all of a sudden.

Luck. :drunk2:

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those model of Fords had hell with the EGR valve carboning up on the back side. Only way to tell is to remove the valve. Also make sure that the passageway on the motor is clear. I've seen the passage carbon to the point of looking 'smooth' with carbon build-up.

Best of luck in finding the issue!

ssx2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without knowing the hard data when these events occur, stuff like temp, fuel pressure, voltage, timing, O2 function etc... I'm diagnosing blind, but it could be a few things you may or may not have addressed. The easiest is fuel pump relay sometimes they have connection issues both internally and externally that could affect voltage to your pump, the hotter(resistance) it gets the lower the voltage to the pump leading to lean pop's and bogging. Second would be making sure the tank was cleaned out properly during the last fuel pump replacement. I've seen the socks get blocked enough to cause the same issues. Pumps overheat, volume and pressure drops and your babying it home or waiting somewhere until it cools off. Good luck, those are good trucks.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Changed the gas cap lately? 40 miles would be enough gas pumped outa the tank to cause issues if the cap isn't venting properly. It could be something simple. (Though it never is with me!)

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you replaced the distributor, was it a complete unit?

I've had the sensor (that picks up impulses from the rotating spider) go bad and do the same thing.

Whatever it is, my money is on an electronic component (lol, that probably doesn't help much). When electronic components get weak, heat can make 'em go wonky all of a sudden.

Luck. :drunk2:

I replaced the whole distributor. I remember that some had a module on the distributor and some had the module on the firewall. I replace the module on the firewall as well...think it was called the ignition control module.

Latest posts

Top Bottom