97-03 F150 LS swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prostick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
has anyone done or know of swapping a 5.4 2v for a LS? Mine gave it up this week and was looking for options. I hate these ford mod motors because they are not easily modded. I’ve seen a few on YouTube but there isn’t much information about the details.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just go back to the old school way of doing things.
Get one and lower it into the engine compartment with engine mounts on it and frame mounts on it if you have any and look and see what kind of mount you need to build or what you need to wheld or cut and where to make it fit.

455 Olds into chevy trucks 350" Chevy into ford van.
350 buick into Mustang II.
231 Buick into Jensen Healey. That was tight.
351C and 9" from a Torino into a 1966 Mustang that was tight also.

Your truck has a ton more room and some of those I did before I was of drinking age.

Just do it!
Welder --Torch--Sawsall-- Big hammer.
Those tools will be needed.
You can get by without the saw.

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out painless wiring for your wiring harness. A ls will basically run stand alone, just needs
power, ground, ignition and throttle input. If you run older throttle body, the throttle body
is cable operated and the tps is mounted on the throttle body. Newer set up is tps on pedal
and a motor on throttle body. You can retro an older engine to the cable operated throttle
body as well. Check with dakota digital, they may be able to rebuild your cluster, or they may
make one for that year ford. Can run the cluster on three wires, can bus. I know they make them
for gm square bodies, I put one in an 85 chevy, was super easy

And to swamprat's suggestion, a healthy olds 455 in that ford, would be sweet

Prostick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out painless wiring for your wiring harness. A ls will basically run stand alone, just needs
power, ground, ignition and throttle input. If you run older throttle body, the throttle body
is cable operated and the tps is mounted on the throttle body. Newer set up is tps on pedal
and a motor on throttle body. You can retro an older engine to the cable operated throttle
body as well. Check with dakota digital, they may be able to rebuild your cluster, or they may
make one for that year ford. Can run the cluster on three wires, can bus. I know they make them
for gm square bodies, I put one in an 85 chevy, was super easy

And to swamprat's suggestion, a healthy olds 455 in that ford, would be sweet
That gauge cluster was what was making me decide to go back stock but now I have options.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had zero respect for the LS engines.
I have towed and driven with them and NOT impressed.
Now boost them and things get real..as does anything boosted.

Now the best running naturally aspirated one I have been in was a carb swapped LQ9.
That one did impress me.
Stock it was pretty salty. But had headers 3" duals and a carb with MSD controller.
I then ported the heads and buddy stuck a cam into it as it was his truck.

Super clean install no wires hanging about and no gawdy plastic intake.
TH400 with 3000 stall B&M converter and 3.45 gears.
It would still be alive if he did not over rev it 7500+ rpm

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you hate mod motors, and their is no substitute for displacement (well maybe) But I personally would consider a coyote or 4.6 mod motor. I have found that both respond well to cold air intakes, tuners and a variety of power adders like nitrous and superchargers. Also the bolt patterns should match up with your transmission a lot better than a Chevy, and not require a new transmission or driveshaft. If money is no object bypass chevy altogether and go with a 7.3 Liter Godzilla.

Prostick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If no money and time was an object I would do a coyote swap. I thought an LS swap could be done for close to the same money as a new motor. I got a quote for a reman long block and that might be the easiest option. I don’t have the equipment or the knowledge to do much more. I love this truck and want to get it going down the road again soon.

Prostick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should I rebuild or go with a reman. I am pretty sure that it jumped time and put the valves into the pistons. What sucks is that it had the blown plug at one time and it had be fixed again recently.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should I rebuild or go with a reman. I am pretty sure that it jumped time and put the valves into the pistons. What sucks is that it had the blown plug at one time and it had be fixed again recently.
If you go with a 5.4 do make sure it has been remanufactured properly. Unfortunately the 5.4 although it is a good engine, does have issues with cam phasers. I do think Ford Resolved the spark plug ejection issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom