9mm AR or AK or ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually I have an SKS and an AR-9, which is a PCC (pistol caliber carbine). The AR-9 is an absolute blast to shoot. The weapon and a 33 round clip with optics doesn't even come in at 9lbs. Had my PSA AR-9 16 inch barrel for about two weeks and already ran about 300 rounds through it Those who say they are useless should try one before knocking them. At anything less than 100 yards I can acquire a target and send multiple rounds down range before most could get their site window set. Velocity in a longer barrel with a 115 grain fmj or HP will be in the 1300FPS range with about 350 lbs at the muzzle. If you don't think that can take a threat down at 100 yds, you should try being the target for one and see. I have a tac light green laser and Vortex red dot on mine and it is a boat load of fun. Also USPSA has set up a PCC class because these tings are so popular. Personally OP I would go with the AR-9. Lots of options and mine takes Glock mags that I can pretty much get anywhere. Also if you have a 9mm pistol you use the same ammo for both. If you have a Glock 9mm pistol then you use the same ammo and mags.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
9mm PCC in the AR platform is awesome fun. Low noise, and very little to no recoil for those with shoulder issues. I’ve never shot mine beyond 50 yds, but getting ready to remedy that.
At 50 yds using 115 Federal bulk fmj ammo, it’s a rapid fire tack driver and did I mention fun to shoot?

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd get one of each if I had the money.

The Spanish destroyer carbine was one of the original PCC's. Its in 9mm largo and takes pistol mags. I had one and should have never sold it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of PCC’s in history. The goal most people back in the day was to have a rifle that shot the same round as their pistol because you had limited storage on a horse.
Lots of folks have collections of single caliber rifles/pistols currently just to say you have them.
I might be somewhat guilty.

Garrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking I want one of these. Just gathering your thoughts at this time. I'm having total knee replacement next Wednesday, and want some ideas to consider while I'm waiting for my return to the walking world.

All comments will certainly be appreciated and considered!

Thanks

Personally I like the idea of a pistol caliber carbine, being load out with one round and interchangeable magazines...

Best of luck during and speedy healing after your knee replacement surgery next Wednesday!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If you can, the CMMG RDB system is amazing for the AR-9 platform. Recoil is significantly lower than with a comparable standard blow back system. I’m also a fan of their ARC-9 magazines for 9mm, as you can use a standard AR lower with standard AR controls. The RDB system is a little higher at ~$300 for the barrel/bolt combo, but the improvement is worth it in my opinion.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This thread has me looking at the possibility of owning a 9mm PCC again.

I had pretty much decided against owning one before, but I am starting to research them again. I have a lot of questions!

n2soonerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Ruger PC9 this year and really like it. Its a lot of fun to shoot and takes Glock and Ruger mags. I Have some Glock funsticks and a 50 round drum, so no need to reload often. It also breaks in half for easy transport. I paid $450 for it so not too expensive either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom