9mm Chronograph Data

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Moparman & Spence,

if you had to pick a powder/bullet combination for your 9mm can you point to one and why? What would your measurements be? Accuracy, Recoil, repeatable velocity?

I am using a old 550 and loading 9mm with 115gr FMJ RN from Precision delta With HS-6 and have had real good results. Seems to work great in all my 9mms. As accurate as I allow them to be, low recoil impulse, clean burning, no smoke. I wonder what criteria other people use to determine a favorite load.

I tried unique and bullseye and maybe I did not have them loaded hot enough but my guns were filthy after every range session.. like using flammable dirt for powder. I tend to load on the lower to mid range of the published power charge.

I need to get a chrono and collect data like you guys have done to make a fair comparison but at this point I am satisfied with the results.

yeah like cow catcher said, I have one stainless 9mm that I use a, fairly hefty Taper crimp on and that keeps it cleaner looking longer, but that’s purely a cosmetic thing (For me). I load with blue dot, bullseye, and unique and found blue dot and bullseye to be about the same cleanliness wise, but unique to be, well, uniquely dirty haha. Depending on your exact recipe, sometimes adjusting your crimp or primer can also result in cleaner or more complete burn, but in my experience 9mm and 45 are just dirty calibers. I never fully looked into it, but I found mild to low charge weights to be the dirtiest, but they could have also been coincidence.

on a side note, and take it with a grain of salt because I have not certified it myself, a friend has switched over to cfe-Pistol and swears it is the cleanest pistol powder he has used in ages. Personally, I found cfe223 rifle to be some of the funniest stuff I ever tried (223/5.56) so I likely won’t be trying their pistol iteration unless I really have to, but it may be worth looking at if cleanliness is your goal as well.

spence

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Moparman & Spence,

if you had to pick a powder/bullet combination for your 9mm can you point to one and why? What would your measurements be? Accuracy, Recoil, repeatable velocity?

I am using a old 550 and loading 9mm with 115gr FMJ RN from Precision delta With HS-6 and have had real good results. Seems to work great in all my 9mms. As accurate as I allow them to be, low recoil impulse, clean burning, no smoke. I wonder what criteria other people use to determine a favorite load.

I tried unique and bullseye and maybe I did not have them loaded hot enough but my guns were filthy after every range session.. like using flammable dirt for powder. I tend to load on the lower to mid range of the published power charge.

I need to get a chrono and collect data like you guys have done to make a fair comparison but at this point I am satisfied with the results.

I don't reload, as of yet, anyhow. Although, with the current situations at hand, it might be the thing that drives me toward it. I've got a new RCBS single stage press I've had since 2007, just never got around to reloading anything on it...

Latest posts

Top Bottom