9mm Largo ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oologahan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some time ago I bought a Star Model Super in 9mm Largo with a couple boxes of 9mm Largo rounds, among the rounds was a box of 9 x 23 Winchester rounds. The seller said he had never shot it out of the Star pistol, but was told by the gun store 9 x 23 and 9mm Largo were the same. I know that's not true and would not ever shoot 9 x 23 Win in a old Star pistol. So I have two questions. First, can anyone give a recommendation on Reed's Ammunition and Research, they say they have 9mm Largo ammo for sale, but after doing a google search on them I got mixed reviews and I am hesitant of sending them money. Previously I have had my 9mm Largo ammo made from a company out of Colorado and it was perfect, but right now they can't get any brass. The second question is whether anyone would want a brand new box of 9 x 23 Win. in trade for a box of 38 special rounds?
20221115_195746.jpg

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I would just reload with less powder, same brass and bullet?
Same brass and bullet. Weigh the bullet, look up loading data for 9mm Largo, using the powder out of your inventory.

Do not reuse the same powder. You have no idea what it is, or how much to use.

Unless you have a great deal of handloading experience working up loads with unknown powder, DO NOT reuse the powder in the cartridge.

If you have to ask if you have enough experience to reuse unknown powder, you don't.

Just look up some data for 9mm Largo from a manual, and use your own powder.

oologahan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same brass and bullet. Weigh the bullet, look up loading data for 9mm Largo, using the powder out of your inventory.

Do not reuse the same powder. You have no idea what it is, or how much to use.

Unless you have a great deal of handloading experience working up loads with unknown powder, DO NOT reuse the powder in the cartridge.

If you have to ask if you have enough experience to reuse unknown powder, you don't.

Just look up some data for 9mm Largo from a manual, and use your own powder.
Thank you, great advice

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 2 cents, having loaded Largo for a couple years:

The 9x23 brass is thicker at the neck and the extractor groove is shallower. Make a dummy round and make sure it doesn't jam in the chamber, and make sure the extractor works like it should. I've made dummy rounds out of 9x23 win for my Star Modelo super and they cycle fine manually but I haven't made live rounds out of them.

You can use 9mm Luger dies if the extra 4mm length doesn't jam them in the die. Dillon and Lee dies work I believe. You can full length size the Largo or 9x23win case like you would a 9mm Luger or back it off a few mm as needed. Back the flaring and seating die off 4mm to start and adjust as needed.

I simply put a 4mm stroke limiting block in the tool holder of my 650 to convert from Luger to Largo. Although this would not fully resize the case base since the sizing die also gets set back 4mm, It still works for me as my loads aren't that hot enough to deform the case bases.

Attachments

• LargoVS9X23WINBrass.jpg
    LargoVS9X23WINBrass.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 0
  • LargoVSLugerBrass.jpg
    LargoVSLugerBrass.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 0
  • LD-34 Campbell LR.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0

oologahan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2 cents, having loaded Largo for a couple years:

The 9x23 brass is thicker at the neck and the extractor groove is shallower. Make a dummy round and make sure it doesn't jam in the chamber, and make sure the extractor works like it should. I've made dummy rounds out of 9x23 win for my Star Modelo super and they cycle fine manually but I haven't made live rounds out of them.

You can use 9mm Luger dies if the extra 4mm length doesn't jam them in the die. Dillon and Lee dies work I believe. You can full length size the Largo or 9x23win case like you would a 9mm Luger or back it off a few mm as needed. Back the flaring and seating die off 4mm to start and adjust as needed.

I simply put a 4mm stroke limiting block in the tool holder of my 650 to convert from Luger to Largo. Although this would not fully resize the case base since the sizing die also gets set back 4mm, It still works for me as my loads aren't that hot enough to deform the case bases.
Thank you very much

Latest posts

Top Bottom