9MM Luger load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found a good load for a Hi-Point pistol I got a couple months ago.
I shot them at 25 yards and some loads were horrible 124 gr XTP with 231 and bullseye.

Wen I got to the Bullseye powder load for the 115 gr XTP I was impressed with an Equilateral triangle group.
Low and right but in a group.
I then went to my 4" steel hanging targets and could not miss. 1/3 the distance though.
The load chronographed at 1,095---1,101---1,124 fps.
115 gr. XTP Win cases, 1.065" OAL. CCI 500 primers.
.49CC lee disc measure which drops the Bullseye powder at 4.6 gr.

I had to seat these to that length to cycle reliably in my pistol.
I have not been much of a fan of the little 9mm but this thing impressed me not one single feed issue or shoot issue
and this load is accurate enough I would give it to my wife for protection as it is much smaller than her 7" S&W 357 mag revolver :)

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fairly new to the 9mm and it's abilities. However I haven't found anything that I have loaded and shot not be fairly accurate and easy to shoot. Everything so far has been in the low (147gr Truncated Lead) to medium high range (FMJ and JHP). Used Bullseye, Unique and CFE Pistol powders.
Working on building a good self defense hollowpoint load. But, my range time has been limited.
Would love to get with Swamprat for a little one on one conference. You should have my number little brother. However am open to any suggestions from any of you. God bless

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was just cleaning more 9 and setting up a turret press to load some more and noticed I have a few boxes of 124 xtp and I need to make these things group as tight as my 115's.

I shot that same 115 load just a couple days ago at 30 feet and emptied the magazine kind of fast at a shoot and see target and the group was baseball sized. No fliers
That is reliable enough to put the hurt on the bad guy.

Or shoot tin cans. :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Start him with a muzzleloader and work your way up :)
That's a great suggestion, but BP and smokeless reloading have totally different dynamics in the way powder is loaded. BP is by volume and smokeless is by weight.
Sometimes a novice may not realize the difference or what that means. A scoop of BP is totally different than the same scoop of smokeless.
I never shot Black Powder after reloading for centerfire rifles for about 10 years. When starting to shoot Muzzle Loaders, it took a steep learning curve to understand the difference in powder, patch, projectiles, and how all that worked together for an accurate load.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it is totally different and you need BP to be compressed.
I thought i would fine tune a black powder load and volume scooped a load and weighed it on a 505 beam scale.
Then made 5 loads all weighed exactly the same on the beam scale and off to the range.

They did not shoot accurately like I expected.
Funny how that works out sometimes.

Another time with my .243 I did the same thing.
I had a load that worked great "scooped" measured by volume and it was within a couple tenth's every time so i weighed loads on a beam scale and the scooped loads out shot the beam scale loads.

Funny thing is I did this on 2 different occasions and results were the same.

Latest posts

Top Bottom