9mm Revolver - Yes or No?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been looking at adding a revolver to the team. I thought about a simple .38 but then started thinking about one in 9mm.

I’ve been eyeing the Taurus 905, Charter Pitbull, SP101.....

Can anyone talk me into it or out of it?
Personal opinions / experiences?
Any general positive or negative information to pass along?

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Winston Churchill

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Big fan of the sp101, it's my trail gun. Shot an older 9mm version and couldnt tell the difference between it and the 38.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only fired the SP101 out of your listed weapons, and I was very impressed with it. Wasn't something that would want to carry on a daily basis, but it was fun. Even plus p ammo was a breeze to control.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think gerhard1 has a 9mm revolver and recently did a write up here. You could check his posts or just PM him. I know that this makes me think about them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think gerhard1 has a 9mm revolver and recently did a write up here. You could check his posts or just PM him. I know that this makes me think about them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read that one on his S&W - not the greatest experience........Looking for some insight on shorter barrels.

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Winston Churchill

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a couple. A S&W 547 4 inch, square butt that I stupidly traded off and a Taurus 905 that I also wish I had back. They were both a lot of fun and never caused any problems.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Been looking at adding a revolver to the team. I thought about a simple .38 but then started thinking about one in 9mm.

I’ve been eyeing the Taurus 905, Charter Pitbull, SP101.....

Can anyone talk me into it or out of it?
Personal opinions / experiences?
Any general positive or negative information to pass along?

- Winston Churchill
What kinda pinko commie dirt bag would try to talk you out of a gun!!! Blasphemous!!!! :cool:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You absolutely MUST purchase another gun!!! I am and have been leary of revolvers with moon clips, some seem to work well, some not so much. If anything may cause the weapon to not be 100% reliable, then it becomes a range toy in my opinion. 9mm bullet crimp is almost none and the .38/.358 has a decent amount of crimp. Lack of crimp can and will in even the most expensive ammo allow bullet jump. If the bullet protrudes for the cylinder, your gun will lock up until you fix it. Not a common occurance granted, but then again neither is needing your gun for a defensive encounter. As a carry gun, the 9mm revolver in WAYYY down the list of my preferred favorites.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned a Smith 547 (K-Frame 4" barrel - sold to another OSA member about 3 years ago) and currently own a Charter Pitbull snub nose in 9mm.
The 547 was very smooth and well engineered but as a full size revolver it didn't seem to have a useful niche for practical (to me) use. The Pitbull works well and is sized well to be a BUG for, for example, ankle carry if desired. Notice that in each case I wanted to avoid moon clips - that's a purely personal issue, some others seem to like them.

In my opinion, the 547 is the better made revolvere but is greatly over-valued in the resale market. Again, value is a personal decision - one man's trash another man's treasure.
The Pitbull is less refined but the newest evolutions (5 shot versus the early 6 shot models) do seem to work well (mine is of recent manufacture) and are of moderate price. I still am having trouble finding the exact practical role for this revolver but it works...if one follows Charter's instructions for employing the ejector rod appropriately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom