9mm vs .40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, not to start a pissing match...whats the pros and cons of each?
Almost had a trade worked today at the gun show for a XD in .40...but I dont own any other .40's so I let the deal pass. Any reason to get into that caliber if I already have 9mm (Browning Hi Power, Beretta 92) and .45's (Springfield and Kimber 1911)?
I think if the pistol (XDM 3.8) had been a 9mm I would have come up with the extra $20 but I wasnt sure about getting into another caliber.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't tell you much about 9mm, but I've got a .40 and a couple of .45's. While I still occasionally shoot the .40, I'm more inclined to shoot the .45. Since the .40 is a "hotter" round, the recoil is worse and a bit slower to get back on target. I'd like to get another handgun, just for grins and giggle, and if I do it, it will be a Glock 30SF in .45.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't feel a .40 brings much to the table vs the 9mm if you are using modern self-defense ammo. Loss of magazine capacity, more recoil resulting in slightly slower split times.
There could be very minor gain in damage to an aggressor, but I feel multiple shots gain far more for my self protection. It has advantages in shooting sports where it is scored higher than the 9mm. (i.e. USPSA minor vs major). It works better on bowling pins.

My opinion on the split times is based on shooting identical guns that only differ by the caliber. Sig 226, M&P full size, M&P Pro.

The .40 seems to have a "sharper" recoil spike. Much more than the 9mm and slightly more than a .45.

The used .40 market is saturated by used LE tradeins which lowers most of the rest. Advantage there.

.40 costs more to shoot even if reloading.

.40 will move a bowling pin a bit more aggressively.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I dropped the .40s from my line-up over the past few years. I reload .45 and 9mm is really cheap these days so .40 was just not worth it for me cost wise. As far as caliber performance with advancement in ammunition development these past 10 years or so, the 9mm can be darn near as effective ballistically as the .40 and I get to carry a few more rounds. I've had a G22, G23, M&P40, and a few others, all good reliable guns and all more expensive to train with than the 9mm's. Good caliber the .40, derived from the 10mm, but as stated above, too hot for some and even the 3 letter agencies are returning to their 9mm roots I hear.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of the magical modern bullet designs have been used across the board for calibers.
The same mystical advantage the 9mm proponents advocate is used in .40, and .45. (lets not forget the .357 mag.)
The advantage is for those that can't shoot is more rounds to miss with in 9mm.
There is a reason that elephants are not shot with .22Rf.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer .45s but have a 9mm pocket pi$$ant gun and 9mm carry gun. With modern era ammunition 9mm is good. .45 is good. I carried a SIG .40 for several years on the job but never warmed to that caliber. My personal handguns were 9mm and .45 ACP (and a few revolvers back then.)

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought a full size 4 1/4" S&W 9mm the other day on the Cabella's special.
I compete with a .40 S&W Pro 5".
I can't tell a whole lot of difference in the recoil, and when competing with a 9mm in USPSA I have to go minor scoring vs major scoring with the .40.
I'll stick with the .40. 200 grain kinetics far outweigh 115 grain in penetration.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 9mm ammo has come along way as far as making them hotter rounds but with that said why not carry the 40? S far as more rounds to hit the target? I really never understood that argument. If you practice with what you carry you should be able to hit your target within a few rounds. One argument is the 40 is a hot round which will cause the gun to wear out faster (glock) but when 9mm rounds have been juiced up to match the 40 then you have to lol at the 9 wearing like the 40. It's just personal preference when it comes down to it. As far as the military and FBI they made that decision on cost plain and simple mho

Latest posts

Top Bottom