9mm vs .40sw what to carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember there was a time when I declined the 9mm based on the argument that its ballistics are such, that unless you hit a vital, it would pass right through "a crackhead on a mission". That was maybe 20 years ago.. Today, everyone loves the 9mm. Has it been improved that much?

I think the recent flooding of new shooters has assisted in the new found success of the 9mm. That and cost efficiency. Like I've always said...they'll all kill ya deader'n hell.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of things will kill ya deader than hell, some of them take forever. In the "old west" 38-40 was considered a darn good round, just like 44-40 and 45 Colt. Now this is before new fangled super bullets, just good old soft lead in a round nose flat point. Now 38-40 was actually .401 or 40 caliber. It launched a 180 grain bullet around 900-950 feet per second, sound familiar? I like 40, shot lots of stuff with it. I've shot some stuff with a 9mm. On pigs and deer the 40 seems to do better, so I sway that way and it still has plenty of capacity which is nice. Now with that said I carry a full size 1911 in .45 mainly because I got so much time behind one!

JbobG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of things will kill ya deader than hell, some of them take forever. In the "old west" 38-40 was considered a darn good round, just like 44-40 and 45 Colt. Now this is before new fangled super bullets, just good old soft lead in a round nose flat point. Now 38-40 was actually .401 or 40 caliber. It launched a 180 grain bullet around 900-950 feet per second, sound familiar? I like 40, shot lots of stuff with it. I've shot some stuff with a 9mm. On pigs and deer the 40 seems to do better, so I sway that way and it still has plenty of capacity which is nice. Now with that said I carry a full size 1911 in .45 mainly because I got so much time behind one!
38-40.. now that's some old school inside info.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd much rather shoot him in the leg with the 45. Especially the femoral artery 😜

I get where you're going though.

1639865235746.png

That's a 230 hp to the thigh ,he walked to the ambulance

Latest posts

Top Bottom