9mm vs .40sw what to carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a 9mm (Glock 43X) daily.

However...that .45 slug to the leg may not kill him or cause him to bleed out, but an old OHP Trooper friend of mine shot a guy in the thigh years ago. It didn't kill him, but it put him down and try as he may, he couldn't stand up because of a shattered femur.

I'm not sure a single 9mm round would do that. Hell, I've seen 9mm rounds that wouldn't put down steel targets.

But...like I said...I carry a 9mm every day without reservation. Well...maybe just a little. :rolleyes2

The bottom line is, no pistol round is indeed a one shot manstopper. The only one shot pistol rounds I would bet money on is a magnum round or maybe the 10mm. But what the hell do I know?
I don’t want to be hit by any of them

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As to the original question; blonde, brunette or redhead.

Whatever you like more, and while one may be less expensive to own than the other, none of them are cheap, so pick something you like, and don't be afraid to change one out for the other on occasion.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a 9mm (Glock 43X) daily.

However...that .45 slug to the leg may not kill him or cause him to bleed out, but an old OHP Trooper friend of mine shot a guy in the thigh years ago. It didn't kill him, but it put him down and try as he may, he couldn't stand up because of a shattered femur.

I'm not sure a single 9mm round would do that. Hell, I've seen 9mm rounds that wouldn't put down steel targets.

But...like I said...I carry a 9mm every day without reservation. Well...maybe just a little. :rolleyes2

The bottom line is, no pistol round is indeed a one shot manstopper. The only one shot pistol rounds I would bet money on is a magnum round or maybe the 10mm. But what the hell do I know?
Thank you, GED. This is the point I was trying to make. People get too hung up on which caliber/cartridge is best. The key, in most instances, is bullet placement. I've said it before and I'll say it again especially to the one poster who tried to imply that I am in denial, bullet placement is more important than cartridge selection.

A 357 in the brain stem is an instant stop. A 45ACP or even a 44 Mag, to the leg may not be.

I know of one instance where a man was hit in the head with a 44 Special, and because of the angle of the hit, the bullet did not penetrate the skull, but skidded along with the skull stopping on the opposite side and was removed with a local anesthetic.

Look, I'm not knocking anyone's favorite round. Anything from 380 on up will get the job done and so if one wishes to carry a 9mm, 38, 357, 40/10mm, or anything heavier, he certainly is entitled to do so.

Trying to belittle the choices that others make is not kosher.

farpoint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several calibers in my pistol battery, except for the 9mm. Traded my last 9mm for a nice .45, but it will be eventually replaced with the new Springfield Armory SA 35 .(want one!) And im not into the fanboi argument mentality.
The 9mm is an effective round with an appropriate self defense round and bullet placement. But there are better choices for a defense caliber, imho.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Either caliber is fine.

I'd put more thought into training, carrying (especially if new to it) holsters, learning the laws of the states I travel, etc...

JbobG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember there was a time when I declined the 9mm based on the argument that its ballistics are such, that unless you hit a vital, it would pass right through "a crackhead on a mission". That was maybe 20 years ago.. Today, everyone loves the 9mm. Has it been improved that much?

Latest posts

Top Bottom