9mm vs Grizzly -- adding to the caliber discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This story could fit in several sub forums, mods please move if needed.

Interesting story. More info for the caliber/ammo and shot placement discussion

Mans stops charging grizzly with 9mm pistol
It's an anecdote, but nonetheless this case highlights the importance of sufficient penetration with well-placed shots to vital organs. I'm sure Buffalo Bore will get some business from it also!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are going back to Alaska in a year or two on a land trip starting at Fairbanks and working our way down to Seward via vehicle and train.
Some is going to be self guided fly fishing on some of the rivers for salmon, so I've been prepping for that with getting my .44 mag Super Redhawk 7 3/8 barrel cut down or replaced by a 5 1/2" and finding some Elmer Keith 250 grain hard cast loaded to the max to carry.
Guides that take clients out generally carry more than a 9 mm, but it worked.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That guide is probably the most renowned big bear guide alive today. He's intimately aware of their anatomy and habits. But if I've booked him and he shows up with a 9 for backup we ain't going into the bush. That's just irresponsible. It worked out but it could go a different way next time. Having only one round left makes me think he wasn't really successful. What if he had needed that gun again on the way out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom